Anders SM14 Vu indicator

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtyhanfri

Hi guys

I’m working with a Anders Electronics Vu indicator.

The thing is I wasn’t sure about if it included a rectifier bridge, the product title in Farnell  includes the  abbreviation RECT, but now I guess it means RECTANGLE as opposed to CIRCLE, the two main product ranges they make...

Well, the first I did was plugging my Signal generator to it and send a 1KHz sine wave rising it to 0VU.

The first thing I found strange was about the connection, I had to plug Signal + to Meter - terminal and signal GND to + terminal in the meter. Doing it the correct way I could see the needle struggling to go from -20 to the left.

I measured output with my cheap DMM and it read something about 1.92V AC, weird. I was expecting something like 1.41V AC.

The thing is, with simple audio signal coming from my signal generator I was able to move the needle. 

But when plugging the meter into my G1176 gives me no VU meter reading, GR seems to work OK.

VU Meter signal works nicely with an stand alone db / microvolt meter

I found pictures of one old build I did few years ago using the same meter model, and I used germanium diodes on it, so I’m heading to the electronics shop to get a few of them.

The thing is, Why the hell was the meter moving with the signal generator? It was yesterday late and I was too tired to think deeply about it, but it came to mind this morning.

I can assure the DC offset pot in the signal gen is set to zero.

I’ll try with audio coming from different sources today to see how it reacts.

Any ideas on what could be happening?

Yes, next time I’ll get AL29 from Sifam...

gyraf said:
Measure DC offset on your signal generator.

Or put coupling (DC blocking) capacitor in series and try again.

Jakob E.

Been out a few days and couldn't try, now I read -0.23V DC in the output of the generator at max output, -0.13V DC with +4dbu output.

I'll try with a blocking cap and try again, 22uf is ok?

ruffrecords said:
The data sheet is no help at all. I suspect they need an external rectifier bridge. I would contact Anders direct on:

[email protected]

Cheers

Ian

Thanks Ian, actually the datasheet is almost useless, I'll try to make it work with a g1176 and I'll try to contact then if I get into more troubles...

Latest posts

Back