Mic Parts 12 251 kit

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nerby

Nice build, cant find a thread about it so Ill post here.  :)

Total Newbie, wanted to dive into diy. Did so with a kit from mic parts. Excellent instructions the booklet was beautiful, completely laid out from start to finish. Made the build relaxing even though I expected hiccups along the way. Im convinced I totally made the right choice starting with this kit. No sourcing and with the instructions it was fool proof.  Looking for a way to raise the low end a bit just not sure where to start im thinking a cap swap would be the right way. But not sure.

If there is a capacitor in parallel with the cathode resistor, I would increase the value of this capacitor.
Also the value of the coupling capacitor between the plate and the output transformer can influence the low end.
But without a schematic, it is hard to give a good advice.

The only thing preventing me from buying from Mic Parts is the fact that the capsules are the Rayking ones that you can source for $30 (compared to mic parts $150 for the RK-12, or the TSB2555 can be sourced from JLI for around $15, and you can buy the Alice mic PCB for cheap on eBay and the capacitors will cost like $50 for a BM-700 mod) and you could probably source a lot of the capacitors for cheaper too. Though you'd be waiting a while for shipping. Also since I'm Canadian the exchange rate is sh*t, so if I'm buying a $600 mic kit I'm gonna end up paying at least $800 CDN. I think buying an Apex 460 and installing the Fox Audio Research mods might be a better value as well. I also think that building an expensive kit using instructions won't actually teach me what I'm doing or why I'm doing it.

I'm tempted to try their MXL 770 mod if I can find a cheap used 770, a Rayking capsule from Alibaba, and then use the transformerless PCB to make a multipattern C414 style mic (though the C414 has a transformer I think), or maybe a multipattern mic with a 47 capsule. Though I think I'll just get a BM-600 and do a capacitor swap for the HF roll-off, or if I can find a used Behringer B2 Pro locally I'll do the same thing.

dasnevestheo said:
mic parts capsules = Rayking's ? Are you sure about that ?
I don't know if they're exactly the same, but from what I've heard the Microphone-Parts capsules are very similar or identical to Chinese capsules. I've heard it's very similar to the Rayking ones specifically.

Icantthinkofaname said:
I don't know if they're exactly the same, but from what I've heard the Microphone-Parts capsules are very similar or identical to Chinese capsules. I've heard it's very similar to the Rayking ones specifically.

These capsules are chinese made. RK87 and RK47 are made by ISK, RK12 - not sure.  Anyway 159$  is way too much.

I thought it was a good quality/price ratio but i don't know much about capsules... what are your good deals then ? (professional quality / low money)

ln76d said:
These capsules are chinese made. RK87 and RK47 are made by ISK, RK12 - not sure.  Anyway 159$  is way too much.
Does iSK sell the capsules individually? Or are there any good single Chinese capsules (not bulk buys) that can be found for cheap?

I´m happy with those capsules (47 style though):
http://www.wgtcenter.com/microphone-34mm-large-mylar-capsule-diaphragm-condenser-element-k47-k49-m7-mount-for-neumann-mic-diy-professional-replacement.html

Vac11 said:
http://www.wgtcenter.com/microphone-34mm-large-mylar-capsule-diaphragm-condenser-element-k47-k49-m7-mount-for-neumann-mic-diy-professional-replacement.html
Cool I was considering those because someone on Gearslutz mentioned that they're good for the price.

Update. Mic is still beautiful finally got to record with it. Came out very nice but I find it lacking low end let me know if youd like links to a processed track only using the mic. Im using the stock "low noise" EHX 6072 Tube that came with the kit. Im wondering what tube and maybe capsule could be a significant upgrade.

Nerby said:
Update. Mic is still beautiful finally got to record with it. Came out very nice but I find it lacking low end let me know if youd like links to a processed track only using the mic. Im using the stock "low noise" EHX 6072 Tube that came with the kit. Im wondering what tube and maybe capsule could be a significant upgrade.

Take it for what you will, but if you look on MP's webpage for their RK-12, the frequency response graphic shown cuts off just below 100hz and I always wondered why. A few months back I bought a couple of identical-looking edge terminated capsules from someone who got them from a group buy from ISK and I noticed they just basically drop off at 100hz. Just like drop off a cliff until there's nothing below 40hz. Also, I noticed the capsule doesn't really have that mid-scoop signature like you'll find in a C12, but more of a very slight scoop between about 6k and 9k and pretty much flat everywhere else up to 20k. It's not a bad-sounding capsule, in my opinion, but just has a compromised low end.

Wordsushi said:
Take it for what you will, but if you look on MP's webpage for their RK-12, the frequency response graphic shown cuts off just below 100hz and I always wondered why. A few months back I bought a couple of identical-looking edge terminated capsules from someone who got them from a group buy from ISK and I noticed they just basically drop off at 100hz. Just like drop off a cliff until there's nothing below 40hz. Also, I noticed the capsule doesn't really have that mid-scoop signature like you'll find in a C12, but more of a very slight scoop between about 6k and 9k and pretty much flat everywhere else up to 20k. It's not a bad-sounding capsule, in my opinion, but just has a compromised low end.
I think it was KingKorg who said that the RK-12 gets really similar the the K67 in a U87 style circuit. I guess that makes a lot of sense now.

dasnevestheo said:
I thought it was a good quality/price ratio but i don't know much about capsules... what are your good deals then ? (professional quality / low money)

It is the same quality for much higher price. Good deal? This is exactly  the same capsule as you can buy three times cheaper - so i think three times cheaper is good deal. This is low budget capsule anyway.
Very good deal? -> https://maiku-capsules.com/
Amazing capsules practically in the prices of mparts.

Icantthinkofaname said:
Does iSK sell the capsules individually? Or are there any good single Chinese capsules (not bulk buys) that can be found for cheap?

ISK is the same as WGT which Vac11 post link here ;)
Vac11 said:

Maiku K47 definately is much closer to original than isk K47. It's pretty well balanced in sound. I built with it fet and tube mikes and it sounds amazing.
K87 is a different story a little bit. Here intentionally response was changed to more flat, it was made by change of backplate pattern. It's more flat in hi frequency range than original Neumann. And this was good move! With proper set of capacitance in deemphasis feedback it sounds incredible. Much better sound than most  k67/k87 type of capsule which are brighter than original Neumann, where you need to use a higher capacitance to get proper sound response. For many people it will be also good in flat circuit. Personally i prefer it with deemphasis eq.
For K12 types (microphone parts, aam, rayking etc.) - these capsules aren't similar to original CK12. Those are much more edge terminated k67 than real CK12.  Want to get real CK12 sound, go for Tim Campbell CT12. Anyway these capsules also can sound great with proper circuit and here with Maiku also you can't be dissapointed ;)
Really worth to try!

Latest posts

Back