Making a sharp knife out of cardboard

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluebird

I don't know how I stumbled on this... I couldn't stop watching. This guy is a real craftsman. He also makes knives out of plastic bottles and pasta!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvo86AHovFc

Spinning 12.5 ton Sphere of Molten Sodium:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAYW9n8i-C4

Spoiler:  The earth is a sulphur tranny. :eek:

I've heard of very high quality Japanese turret/tag board made from a very similar process to what the knife guy uses ,apparently shellac and cardboard pressed and baked and makes one of the best materials of all for tube amp tag board .
The moisture content can be reduced to a very low level and the shelac impregnation toughens it considerably ,as well a sealing the moisture out .Might be interesting to try a tube mic ,cardboard could be stenciled and cut out and laminated ,then sanded to final shape ,then sealed with a final layer of shelac ,the resistivity of wood fibres if properly dried out goes up as moisture goes down . Id be interested if anyone knows more about this .

bluebird said:
I don't know how I stumbled on this... I couldn't stop watching. This guy is a real craftsman. He also makes knives out of plastic bottles and pasta!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvo86AHovFc
What kind of fool has a gas hob right next to a sink??

Cheers

Ian

Typically in Japan living quarters are fairly compact compared to here,even though theres quite a large area ,its only a small proportion of the country is even habitable or accessible .

> What kind of fool has a gas hob right next to a sink??

He has 7 inches. I have 20 inches from electric hob to sink. I *want* them close when making pasta- not dash across the room with heavy boiling water. I dunno how much pasta the Japanese cook (ramen noodles?); tight quarters makes much sense.

I don't see the gas burning the sink, or the sink water putting out the hob. While I would want some setting-space along-side both fixtures, when life is tight you do what you can.

Shellacked paper won't last in Tropical Climates such as the east coast of the US. (98% RH here now.)

boji said:
I'm either freezing in my car or having to wipe down the windows every 5 min while on the rainforest beltway. :)

While we are talking about the weather ( a great British pastime) the UK, and most of Europe, is sweltering in the longest heatwave since 1976. RH well into the 90s and temperatures also in the 90s. Horribly sticky and because it is so rare we have no air conditioning. No rain for about 6 weeks has led to a hosepipe ban in parts of the country.

Cheers

Ian

Talking about the weather is like a national pastime here in Ireland too .
I've never seen a dry spell like this in my lifetime ,what small amount of rain we have had in the last few months is gone within a hour or two of hitting the ground ,RH98% that does sound uncomfortable . I was never bothered too much by hot temps ,I did get a taste of the 'Sirocco' one time while on holidays in Morrocco,was upto about 47C in daytime and still remained high 30's at night ,on top of that I got badly food poisoned .So spent a few days very very unwell ,sweating tossing and turning , luckily glass litre jars of the freshest sweetest orange juice I ever tasted was easily available ,they did have nice confectionary and pastries too .

As far as I know Audio Note do use impregnated and laminated wood fibre boards in some of their very high end units ,its also very thick maybe 5-7 mm so it also provides great damping for any components attached . I guess a simple home made laminate board probably isnt going to resist in all climatic conditions ,but it does seem like it can be done ,I still cant seem to find any links to the Japanese guy who makes it though .The warm running nature of tube gear does of course help drive off any water molecules that might be present in the board material ,but this virtue will of course work against you as the board will absorb a certain amount of moisture when not in use .

Heres an interesting doc on wood moisture content ,

https://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fplgtr/fplgtr06.pdf

Looks like spruce is one of the best ,I think thats also commonly used here for electrical and telegraph poles here .

ruffrecords said:
While we are talking about the weather ( a great British pastime) the UK, and most of Europe, is sweltering in the longest heatwave since 1976. RH well into the 90s and temperatures also in the 90s. Horribly sticky and because it is so rare we have no air conditioning. No rain for about 6 weeks has led to a hosepipe ban in parts of the country.

Cheers

Ian

Sounds like global warming to me Ian... Just teasing ;D

Latest posts

Back