[BUILD] NU VARIMU 436 build & help thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
volker said:
538-19705-4303

Thanks Volker, BOM Updated with available parts. on PSU BOM, dunno why these were in the MB+CTRL BOM.

Don't hesitate to post here if some parts are obsolete or missing or whatever from the BOM.

Best,

T.

Hey everyone ! A lot of the parts refs from the BOM were unavailable or with hundreds minimum qty order so I made a Mouser basket with new references :

Motherboard + controller boards : https://www.mouser.com/ProjectManager/ProjectDetail.aspx?AccessID=479778172f

PSU board : https://www.mouser.com/ProjectManager/ProjectDetail.aspx?AccessID=a8776b7727

I will order and check soon but for now don't forget to check yourself !

Peace

Oh and there's multiple options available in the basket so you have to choose like the relays or you'll end up with a lot of spares

Rob Flinn said:
Heads up 12 weeks is very optomistic.  I had and order that arrived recently after about 17 weeks.

Seen that alright Rob ouch!

I really don't have the patience at the moment maybe in the new year ill order some replacement sowters.

Anybody have any thought on jensen JT-10K61-1M it's turn ratio can be wired to 8:1 I know it requires in around 9:1.

Best
Peter

petermontg said:
Seen that alright Rob ouch!

I really don't have the patience at the moment maybe in the new year ill order some replacement sowters.

Anybody have any thought on jensen JT-10K61-1M it's turn ratio can be wired to 8:1 I know it requires in around 9:1.

Best
Peter

It works pretty well with the edcore 10k:600 & sounds good too.

Thanks Rob. Never been a fan of edcor trafos if am honest. I've had them in a few builds now and over time I took the all out

Best
Peter

half year later the sowters are in!  ;D

i think the unit is working right. it does have a strange behavior if HPF is off (norm). bass seems to trigger the compression way too much... no problem when setting some HPF.

i had to put in a 5k trimmer for the meters too. the voltage thats related with the meters (was it test point D/E?) is only around 130V then.

i made some audio putting the compressor into a mastering chain (mid /side) of a dancefloor song i mixed last night:

without compressor
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/8w70zazsx98pml9/dance%20pur.mp3?dl=0

compressor engaged
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/vz4ci81fsa1vjt9/dance%20varimu.mp3?dl=0

electrisizer said:
half year later the sowters are in!  ;D

i think the unit is working right. it does have a strange behavior if HPF is off (norm). bass seems to trigger the compression way too much... no problem when setting some HPF.

i had to put in a 5k trimmer for the meters too. the voltage thats related with the meters (was it test point D/E?) is only around 130V then.

i made some audio putting the compressor into a mastering chain (mid /side) of a dancefloor song i mixed last night:

without compressor
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/8w70zazsx98pml9/dance%20pur.mp3?dl=0

compressor engaged
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/vz4ci81fsa1vjt9/dance%20varimu.mp3?dl=0

Sounds great. Well done. was you sidechain engaged in this?
I think its box tone is exactly where I thought it would be.
Well done lads and thanks for bringing this project to where it should have been originally.

petermontg said:
Sounds great. Well done. was you sidechain engaged in this?
I think its box tone is exactly where I thought it would be.
Well done lads and thanks for bringing this project to where it should have been originally.

yes sidechain was at the highest setting @130Hz. but its bass heavy stuff... :)

do other builders have same wired bass response when sidechain is off? perhaps ive done something wrong... its not a problem since i engage sidechain of nearly any compressor i use.

V1.1.

Errata from V1.0 corrected:
- Relay PSU
- Heather PINS for 12AT7 TUBE
- etc...

Unfortunatly, ssem like i missed connecting a trace together in my CAD  :'( (Was hidden beneath another one, and seems like hiding layers and living unconnected layer ON, didn't pop in front of me  :eek: :eek: :eek:, i must be cursed lol.
Anyway, the correction will be present on the PCB, so nothing to do on your end.

Basically, pure copper tape, thinned, and protected with UV Blue Soldermask, to make it as resistant as possible....

The MISSING LINK:
20201126-131345.jpg

THE CORRECTED LINK:
20201126-131140.jpg

Silly enough here to forget about wiring the 12AT7 heater correctly.

Some issues with voltages here.
I have too many :eek: :eek:

What voltage should be across the HTRLED on top???

I am reading about 340 into circuit C/D brings it down to 280 odd across the center tap small voltages are nearly double. D/E are easy set against the meter

Edit: problem solved increased R1 everything is correct now.

Ran some test in mine this morning in the studio.

This thing is abosulte mid monster fabulous compressor.

I ran lundahls on my input and got some custom OEP's 9ct:1 on the output. Ran mullards and phillips for tubes. I didn't skimp on parts my bom for the motherboard and PSU was a little more than I bargained for to be honest

A few ground issues to chase and a bit more on balance.

Just curious comparing the schematic to the other was there a reason D/E ran at 212/213volts as the other ran a 188volts here. Is this because of 1ma meter?

Fantastic work guys again. Well worth the wait.

Best
Peter

Hello All,

Working on this project for 1 week now and nothing works.

I have sound but it's like it has a 10khz hipass, both sides.

Input TX are 1540 and Output TX are XSM10k/600.

I've read that it could work with those Edcors output TX.

Meters are pegged to full value : VR100 is already a 5k. They are moving a bit if I put a 1k trimmer in serie with the meter but to have the needle moving, I end up with 24V at F test points.....
Meter are Sifam AL20 1mA fsd

Voltages are :
B : 264 / 260
C : 265 / 265
D : 190 / 186
E : 193 / 176
F : 5 / 5
G : 3,72 / 3,33
H : 3,35 / 3,34
I :  264 / 264
J : 264 / 264

My power transformer is external in another box, only the TX.

Any thoughts?

Thank you.

labak said:
Hello All,

Working on this project for 1 week now and nothing works.

I have sound but it's like it has a 10khz hipass, both sides.

Input TX are 1540 and Output TX are XSM10k/600.

I've read that it could work with those Edcors output TX.

Meters are pegged to full value : VR100 is already a 5k. They are moving a bit if I put a 1k trimmer in serie with the meter but to have the needle moving, I end up with 24V at F test points.....
Meter are Sifam AL20 1mA fsd

Voltages are :
B : 264 / 260
C : 265 / 265
D : 190 / 186
E : 193 / 176
F : 5 / 5
G : 3,72 / 3,33
H : 3,35 / 3,34
I :  264 / 264
J : 264 / 264

My power transformer is external in another box, only the TX.

Any thoughts?

Thank you.

I don't know what meter this pcb is designed to use, but the original units use a 200uA FSD meter.

Latest posts

Back