Im quietly fuming all day

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tubetec

Now ,Ive held back and tried to formulate words to express my dismay all day long ,Ive tried to think about all options but really there are no others than to brazen it out in here .I refute sending messages up the chain of command ,and risking poisoning otherwise good relations there.

Im highly pissed off that a topic with more than 15,000 hits and 600 posts was simply wiped from the record ,arse all to do with the fact that I started it ,but more to do with all the genuine contributions people put forward were simply dumped into the bin .
Yes I did start up this topic with the intention pillarying the pillock Pres ,over the course of the convo many points of enlightenment have come in from all sides ,some smaller arguments have ensued yes,but is that in itself a reason to clampdown on everyone?
Im am well aware some of my posts hit hard ,there meant to ,I havent spent my life bucking the system just to be a wallflower .
Expletives yes ,I use them liberally and to maximum effect which may hit some peoples off switch instantaniously .

I noticed that last threat of 'stricter rules' brought forward a swathe of appologies from people just expressing an opinion ,even in the politest of terms ,and had no effect whatsoever on the people who were needlessly abusive ,make everyone suffer for one or twos fails ,its millitary text book stuff,and look where thats got ye.Ive been lucky enough to make friends far and wide from my own cirlcle and getting to know the so called enemy reveals its own story ,an illusionsary and divisionist tactic instilled by politicians for the purpose of control .Same here, same there, same everywhere. There is none so blind than those who choose not to see .

I can understand locking down a thread if it gets out of hand but I see no reason to delete it unless there is some legal reason to do it.. What has been said has been said and no amount of deleting will alter that.

Cheers

Ian

I firmly believe in the freedom of speech, but also I believe there’s a space for every and each topic.

Brewery was a nice subforum with different and refreshing threads, now every time I look at it the top threads are about politics in one way or another.

I used to come here looking for distraction from everyday’s sh*t, brewery was even more interesting because it allowed me to know aspects of other cultures or countries, even political content threads used to be polite and formative.

Now is the almost same as the social media or press, polarizing ideas and getting more confrontation than understanding. Just boring.

I come here for the audio electronics, right, but Brewery always gave me good reading before sleeping, I miss that.

Just that, I would ban politics and religion from this forum, I just think is healthier for everyone to leave that kind of personal aspects at the door.

Those are the reasons for all the wars in human history, why let them into this great place?

abbey road d enfer said:
I understand Tubetec's frustration seeing his thread being phased out. However it could be re-started under a new name and still have at least 3 years of future life.  :)

Well, all the content ist gone, that's the reason for the frustration.

Doesn't bother me one bit. I'm glad to see it gone. It really wasn't serving any useful purpose anyway or, nothing that isn't all over the news already. If there was anything useful, I'm sure it could be brought up again and reposted.

My recommendation to anyone upset over it, would be to not let anything(let alone that) make you upset! Not worth it!  :)

Im a bit calmer about things today  :)

Someone seemed to suggest cross contamination via Twitter , I personally dont use any of the mass market social media ,but I guess there are a lot of empty vessels who simply copy and re-tweet others posts for 'like whore' purposes.

I do also appriciate final editorial control rests with John , the  main question this whole thing raises is should anyone(including politicians especially) be above scrutiny . As I said before the notion of papal infalabillity and general blind eye turning by the population allowed very very bad things to happen here in Ireland at the hands of church ,state and other darker powers.

Unquestioned loyalty is bad for democracy . Ive always voted in elections and referendums here and even though across my extended family many vote strictly down party lines ,Ive always voted the person not the party .you can blame the Russians all you want for interfereing with your elections, even though Putin will never openly admit he did it ,rightly or wrongly Vlad has the support of the vast majority of his people his approval ratings are very high.At the end of the day fielding two dud candidates in 2016 US presidential elections facillitated foreign interference, if either candidate had a clear majority external influence to sway votes would have been minimised . I personally dont give a damn which side StrumpF belongs too ,the man has been a destabilizing force globally and has brought the office of president down . 

Tubetec said:
Im a bit calmer about things today  :)

Someone seemed to suggest cross contamination via Twitter , I personally dont use any of the mass market social media ,but I guess there are a lot of empty vessels who simply copy and re-tweet others posts for 'like whore' purposes.

I do also appriciate final editorial control rests with John ,
For the record I do not edit  (even though I could, but then I would have to read everything  ::) ). Moderation is more about hauling out the trash and cleaning the bathrooms.  :'(
the  main question this whole thing raises is should anyone(including politicians especially) be above scrutiny . As I said before the notion of papal infalabillity and general blind eye turning by the population allowed very very bad things to happen here in Ireland at the hands of church ,state and other darker powers.

Unquestioned loyalty is bad for democracy . Ive always voted in elections and referendums here and even though across my extended family many vote strictly down party lines ,Ive always voted the person not the party .you can blame the Russians all you want for interfereing with your elections, even though Putin will never openly admit he did it ,rightly or wrongly Vlad has the support of the vast majority of his people his approval ratings are very high.At the end of the day fielding two dud candidates in 2016 US presidential elections facillitated foreign interference, if either candidate had a clear majority external influence to sway votes would have been minimised . I personally dont give a damn which side StrumpF belongs too ,the man has been a destabilizing force globally and has brought the office of president down .
It appears the political screed continues... enjoy.

I bend over backwards to protect speech while enforcing the rules of this forum.  I even defended our resident bad apple multiple times.  One of the threads I deleted several months ago, was one started here by another forum member to complain about this one disruptive member. Not to mention dealing with multiple PMs and moderation complaints from other respected forum members who contribute actual practical content here (about audio electronics).  It was a fairly easy call about who was more valuable to preserve this forum.

For the record this is a DIY audio forum so members are invited to partake in "all" the audio sub forums...  I can't believe anyone has trouble finding outlets for angry politics on social media. I know it finds me. Of course the brewery is free range. Some may not recall how ugly the political discussions were around here years ago, with far more heat than light.

The rules have not changed recently and people do get voted off the island from time to time for bad behavior. While it doesn't happen here as often as with other forums, that is not license for unrestricted bad behavior (and bad actors do get warned, often multiple times).

Many forums ban politics and religion because such discussions rarely end calmly and with agreement. I am proud of how respectful and thoughtful most people here are (I have learned a lot, especially from our international members). So please keep up the good work.

As an old (very big) bar bouncer once told me... "It's nice to be nice."

JR

I do recall a well regarded member going off the rails many years ago and making death threats....maybe the meds were off that day....  They are still here, and the thread was disappeared......assume they were warned....

Many off-road solutions.   

I agree one should be here for the electronics DIY, and if one isn't, why be here? 

living sounds said:
But why delete all the threads? Wouldn't it have sufficed to ban the offending member?

To me, those threads contained enough negative material to warrant deletion anyway. Personally, I'm not a believer in free speech extremism. There are limits to everything imo, even free speech.

EmRR said:
I agree one should be here for the electronics DIY, and if one isn't, why be here?

Agree 110% there

Joined in 2007 and built some excellent projects from the knowledge, and creativity that pass througe this cyberspace.
However political polution seems in abundance every where in the space between our brains these days.
Just ignore the proponent protaganists and ,...they will argue themselves into oblivion using there own petard to exterminate themselves.
And to those political snowfakest......the "pfumming"  you know who you are..............You crossed the lines of the rules of those who administer the site.....in other words .....Tough, I sugest you get over it and do something  frickin useful with your lives.
Grow Up !
Just my 20cents, or where i come from 25p.
Peace out..............

I think there's a world of difference between personal attacks between members and personal opinions some may see as negative or objectionable. Often when our views are confronted it can be a bitter pill to swallow ,its very easy to wind up 'playing the man not the ball'.Im as willing to listen to views that go against my personal beliefs as ones that broadly agree with my perspective. If were just listening to favourable stuff I think theres a run away train effect that leads to further polarisation.

One of the reasons I like the brewery is the vast majority of people can accept others perspectives without getting out of shape about it ,its really quite a contrast to so much 'online' these days where political ideologies  and religion end up  banned for the sake of the smooth running of what ever media it happens to be. Again if we go down that route should we not ban sports talk too ,which so often ends up in a slagging match ,its every bit as bad , in fact maybe its worse .

On another site I contribute to we once had an issue were people started to persecute a Muslim girl who was part of the admin team ,her response was to try and ban all religious talk entirely ,so we end up learning nothing about other cultures and beliefs ,and who does that serve ? 

Tubetec said:
I think there's a world of difference between personal attacks between members and personal opinions some may see as negative or objectionable.
Yes, personal attacks are against the rules, opinions are like a__holes, everybody has one.
Often when our views are confronted it can be a bitter pill to swallow ,its very easy to wind up 'playing the man not the ball'.Im as willing to listen to views that go against my personal beliefs as ones that broadly agree with my perspective. If were just listening to favourable stuff I think theres a run away train effect that leads to further polarisation.

One of the reasons I like the brewery is the vast majority of people can accept others perspectives without getting out of shape about it ,its really quite a contrast to so much 'online' these days where political ideologies  and religion end up  banned for the sake of the smooth running of what ever media it happens to be. Again if we go down that route should we not ban sports talk too ,which so often ends up in a slagging match ,its every bit as bad , in fact maybe its worse .
In my experience religion is most inflexabile, while politics is rising in recent years as increasingly contentious. WRT sports, parents at their kids games are the worst.  ::)
On another site I contribute to we once had an issue were people started to persecute a Muslim girl who was part of the admin team ,her response was to try and ban all religious talk entirely ,so we end up learning nothing about other cultures and beliefs ,and who does that serve ?
Indeed we have a pretty good group here... Lets work to keep it that way.

JR

Thats funny you mention school kids and their parents at sports events , Ive seen exactly this in an International school we used to bring my brother for soccer , the parents were shouting Hitler style from the side lines and the kids ended up totally demoralised ,even scuffles and screaming matches started between the parents ,crazy stuff altogether .

Back