Sfernice dual 10k panpot, center detent

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boji

Hello.

Audio Maintenance used to stock a Sfernice 'CVIM 0515' 10k dual lin, which I planned on using for panning duties but they appear to be out of stock.
CAPI does have an alternative 'BI' pot with similar specs but I have had no experience with it.
Anyone care to chime in about the BI or something else, or a source for the sfernice? I would need approximately 30 for now.

Thanks,

g2KhQVR.jpg

The BI pots are good quality. One thing to consider though is getting the right shaft for the knobs you intend to use, both length and type. I personally prefer either a D shaft or knurled.

Similar to the BI there is also Bourns PTD902 series, which should be available from the usual distributors. Cheaper but carbon instead of conductive plastic.

Okay, thanks John. Guess I'll try out the BI's if I don't hear back from AML in a few days.
Worse case I could pull panpot's from an Amek Big that became partially submerged in my basement a few months ago from a flash flood.

I would be leery about using pots that had been subjected to unusual moisture, even if the pots themselves weren't under water.

As for the BI pots, my somewhat limited experience with them has been good.

Bri

Ok cool two positives on BI's.  That's good. 

Mr. Roth I just wanted to say my respect for you and your console build you did years ago grows by the day.
Wish you had pictures.

boji said:
Ok cool two positives on BI's.  That's good. 

Mr. Roth I just wanted to say my respect for you and your console build you did years ago grows by the day.
Wish you had pictures.

Thanks for the kind words.  There are a few pix of that desk on my website....exteriors, but no "innards" shots.

Bri

She's a beauty. May I ask how you did amp stages? Big name flavors for inspiration or did you roll your own circuit designs?

Edit: How's about I read your webpage.

"Thus, it was possible for only two opamps and their associated components to be in the signal path when no EQ was required, and with the "D" switch activated instead of using a submix buss."

Sounds familiar...But jeez at 23?!? I was still chasing girls and waking up with hangovers every weekend with no technical interests save noodling around on instruments.

LOL!  I began "building" stuff when I was barely in Jr. High, and soon marketed the Roth Fuzz to guitar player friends in OKC.  I had a patient mentor, John Simonton who owned Paia Electronics (a DIY kit company located a few miles from my house), and he etched the PC boards that I laid out with a Sharpie on typing paper.

Bri

Jeff with his usual timely shipping delivered me 32 BI dual lin 10k's.  First impressions are they definitely took notes from Alps...
The small size is perfect for my needs.
Edit: I guess my only complaint is they have no center detent.

So, I ground down the inner shaft and did the super glue / baking soda trick.
They do feel good, as putting the dual shafts to work adds some extra resistance.

Thought about drilling a hole into them perpendicular to the axis.
Any recommendations to use something else? Loctite red (It wicks) or Epoxy??

Thanks!

Are you sure you got right ones? They should have a center detent. And why are they concentric? 

Thought this was the part you were looking for
http://capi-gear.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=50_131&products_id=446

Wow I think you're right. The label on the tray of pots I received shows them to be P092C-082A.

On CAPI's website they are supposed to be P094C-089A. Going to check to see if I ordered wrong!

Thanks John.

I can only guess I ordered wrong!

Ok Now I see why you're asking about them being dual, as the correct ones are dual gang per concentric, whereas the ones I received are single wiper per axis.
Hmm. Time to tuck my tail between my legs and see if Jeff will allow a swap out...

Good catch!

Do you need level and pan?  P094 would mean 4 gang.  If you only just need pan that wouldn't be it either.

The ones you received also seem to be audio taper,  not linear.

Latest posts

Back