Are there sockets or something similar for audio transformers? ie 2520 socket

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dysenterygary

Just wondering if there is an easy way to switch out audio transformers, specifically for testing purposes.  I've never heard of such a thing and it seems like it would be incredibly convenient. 

Back in the old days Peavey put isolation transformers, speaker crossovers, and sundry modules inside plug-in cans using tube sockets or something similar.

Transformers generally have too much mass for low retention force IC sockets.

JR

The reason for op amp sockets is that they get hot and sometimes fail. In contrast, a transformer is generally considered a part that lasts "forever". So no sockets.

> a transformer is generally considered a part that lasts "forever". So no sockets.

Depending on the market. In older PA, the mixer was sold without transformers, just sockets. Makes a lower list price. In many small jobs, jumpering for an unbalanced input worked fine. Or a pad and line transformer to take sound from a long-line (Muzak) or another mixer. Or of course an actual mike transformer,  1 2 3 4 or more as needed. (Schools often needed a higher power amp which often came with more inputs than the school would ever use.)

There are many flavors but the one I see most is a plain old Octal. Cheap, sturdy, enough pins.

For testing purposes, I think that "cupped-head" pogo pins would work well - at least we use them when measuring/matching audio transformers and inductors:

https://www.adafruit.com/product/2428

pp4.jpg

Jakob E.

mjrippe said:
+1

I could name a dozen companies, including Altec and RCA, that offered transformers with octal bases.

This was never too popular in good old Europe, but I like this idea. Is there a standard for the pin assignment?
(e.g for a microphone to grid transformer)

gyraf said:
For testing purposes, I think that "cupped-head" pogo pins would work well - at least we use them when measuring/matching audio transformers and inductors:

https://www.adafruit.com/product/2428

pp4.jpg

Jakob E.

Gyraf, do the two parts separate in the pogo pins?  They look like they are permanently connected and I don't see how that is beneficial for swapping out different transformers quickly. 

We use them for temporary connection, when measuring and binning inductors, transformers. Mount the (spring loaded) pogo pins on a template, and just press down the device-under-test to make a connection. The pins has the advantage that you can measure several points at the same time without having to fumble with multiple alligator clips..

Jakob E.

rock soderstrom said:
This was never too popular in good old Europe, but I like this idea. Is there a standard for the pin assignment?

Unfortunately each manufacturer had their own standard, though a few smaller brands made their parts compatible with the big names.

rock soderstrom said:

Agree with the others on octal plugs/sockets. But many manufacturers used 9 pin configurations (Not miniature/Noval, but octal-size pins). EBay has a number of listings for cans (plastic, mostly) with standard octal or 9 pin/octal sized plugs for DIY modular/swppable projects that can work. I’ve used old relays with 9 pin, octal-sized plugs/metal cans and just gutted them. Some are easier to gut than others.

The 9 pin octal-sized plugs are common for a lot of old gear. The most common pinout i’ve seen is 5 - 8 (sometimes has a split winding where 6/7 can be wired in series or parallel) and 2 - 9.  It’s nothing like a “standard”, but it’s quite common. JBL, Bogen, some Altec, Sescom, some Ampex, etc often used this configuration.

Back