Alec 639 birdcage cage repair

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duantro

I recently got an Alec 639 birdcage mic that got dropped and the top got cracked. Does anyone know what the metal is on these? wondering if soldering would hold it, or epoxy would be the way to go. My wife is a jeweler, and has a micro welder, just not sure what kind of fill to use, if I went that route. I'm trying not to destroy it also! Thoughts?
http://www.coutant.org/altec639/

Attachments

• IMG_4622.jpg
    IMG_4622.jpg
    774.8 KB · Views: 20
there was talk of a 3D printed approach somewhere, I don't know if it was pursued.

The broken top section will come off, right?

It's pretty safe to try epoxy if you can remove the piece. Use very little epoxy and remember that cure times increase with less epoxy so keep it clamped (or tighten that wire) for quite a bit longer than specified on the box.

Yes the top comes off. It is held together by two long screw that go through the top and sandwiches the middle section to the base., so it needs to be somewhat solid.

Are both elements working inside? Might be worth checking before putting effort into the metal repair.
I have one that has a dead dynamic element but the ribbon works. Did not appear possible to repair when I took it apart. Worth keeping just for the ribbon though.

I just did a quick talking test with the different patterns to make sure it worked, but it sounds pretty close to the ribbon element in sonic character- nice and full.

EmRR said:
there was talk of a 3D printed approach somewhere, I don't know if it was pursued.
I've tried a search and haven't found anything on this. Doesn't the cage do some rf shielding on most mics?

duantro said:
I've tried a search and haven't found anything on this. Doesn't the cage do some rf shielding on most mics?

The later Altec 670 adaptations have bakelite bodies I believe, and I think an Amperite I have does as well. 

duantro said:

The mic body would form a Faraday shield around the mic element. I think you could try lining a 3D printed body with copper adhesive foil.

Latest posts

Back