A range antics

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

So starting this thread as I want to just amass any and all information we collectively have  on the a-range desks. I will share any information I have.
It's official I  have one in my care.  It needs work but most of it is simple stuff like cleaning.
It just got a new lease on life with a new psu as mentioned in an other thread.  I am refurbing the old one as a back up. 
So what I currently am in need of is the edge connector for the channels.  I asked this before as well but am condensing it all here. I took a photo. The idea is to build an extender and test jig.
I am also in need of schematics as the console technical book is missing them, it does have mechanical drawings though so not all bad.  So if anyone has the channel(Pre eq), the aux/echo sends, the monitor channel schematics would love to get a copy.
Lastly does anyone have a lead on possible fader replacements, fader caps and button caps?

I know it's a tall order.  Any info I can provide as well will get into the tech documents section.

Attachments

• IMG_5323.jpg
    IMG_5323.jpg
    793.3 KB · Views: 100
mouser #  312-9301F-100k  shelf eq bands
                      312-9301F-10k      midrange eq and buss module monitor faders

alpha  # RA6020F-10-15F2-B10K    (10k fader)

might hafta do something about the 100k ones, they are outta stock at the moment,
i could use a few as well

L´Andratté said:
;D :eek: 8) :eek: 8)
Weren´t those from the earlier models?

Yes this is an a-range console.  The original desk used Zutt transformers.  When Zutt no longer was available trident moved to different transformers in later years.

Everything A Range that I have is in a .zipfile at https://www.dropbox.com/s/bg8rtq3ov72djuz/A%20Range.zip?dl=0

Mostly input channel versions, but some other good bits.  Probably lots of overlap, but hope it helps.  Download and archive/share - link will expire at some point.

Also, those same Zutt transformers were used in the Fleximix boards.

The edge connectors are by McMurdo and there are some 32 way ones on ebay UK right https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F391793053874 -  I would double check the dimensions are correct. I know these from my B range channel strips.

Well tracking down one of the bigger issues.
Quad buss right front and rear do not function.  What I have been able to conclude so far so that if I patch a test signal into a Chanel or monitor I get left side showing on the main left side stereo bus meter and I hear signal out the left speaker(with remix fader up).  What is interesting to me is where the master buss is at.  Correct me if I am wrong but it looks like the summing amps for the quad bus show up in the monitor channels.  On this desk if  I assign signal to the quad bus from a channel or monitor and adjust the master fader I see signal indication on the vu meters for tape returns 9 and 10 as well as the stereo bus meters. 9 and 10 show healthy level, the stereo bus shows as mentioned above no right side. I can patch into the fader for the stereo bus( I assume that's an insert) and I get healthy level left side and the same low level right side. I swapped monitor Channels around and the problem stayed to the right side. If I pull out monitor Channels 9-10 I do not have signal at all on the stereo bus.
Not sure if that perks any ideas but all it tells me is that I am missing something and trying to isolate  where things are Wonky.  It may be as simple as the patchbay as I have not dove into that mess yet.

the meter drivers are in each monitor module - on ours, it's a little wing board mounted on a standoff.

for our stereo meters,  there is a switch to have the first two main meters of 1-24 display either buss/tape 1 and 2 or
the selected stereo program in the monitors.

our console here was...modded in a way that is very nice, but makes me unable to be of as much help on
some of your issues.  it's previous home was at cherokee, and the techs there were really pretty sharp guys at the time.

the panning modules on ours have had the circuit boards removed, and are now passive.
there are only resistors and switches in them now.
and the center section - oh how i would love to see yours...
the modules sum to the mix bus amps, one hardy 990 for each side (you know, the old clear ones).
then it goes to the 5k P&G then to another pair of 990s for the line amps... that's it.
they say less is more, gotta say it sounds awfully nice.

like yours, ours came with no documentation and that was fuct.
still not done drawing.

i would post some pictures, but for the last several months, i can't seem to post pics.

oh shit.... that one worked....
that's form our website, shitty view of the board

Attachments

• studio-a-01.jpg
    studio-a-01.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 49
encouraged, i try again...

if this works, it's the part you can't see in the previous pic

Attachments

• fuggin' A.jpg
    fuggin' A.jpg
    829.7 KB · Views: 45
in the input modules,  (referring to the 2038 which mucho has...the 1038 had the two TO66
                                                    mounted on the circuit board, where they would sit, just waiting to go full china syndrome).

if ZD2 is still a 24V,  you could change it to a 30V  -  all of the TO 92 run of this secondary rail... more headroom and all the parts can take it no problem.    the cherokee console had this mod as well as the one at burbank studios.

in the same area, change C-3 from 100uf to at least 150uf, if not more.  this is for better filtering of the zener noise.

oh yeah. and on this one, what shows up on the meters as multi-track return is what is
going to the  monitor modules, (mixer return on our patchbay)
not the line in, which is the main input modules

Attachments

• A monitor module.jpg
    A monitor module.jpg
    592.2 KB · Views: 36

Latest posts

Back