A range antics

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Enjoying the picts.  In the channel pict, what are the grey rectangles above the OT and presumably OPA? Relays?

Do you know what # your console is?

This pic is from the #13, which was the last one made I think. Transformers look like Sowter cans but are still labeled Zutt

Attachments

• DSCN0223.jpg
    DSCN0223.jpg
    398.4 KB · Views: 47
Thanks for the pics.  I don't know which # this is. But it's history is it was at least studio in Canada. Then from there it made its way to be owned by Elliot smith. Then when Elliot smith passed  the current owners took over the studio spot and are running it with permission and such from the smith family.

brian kehew  (recording the beatles)

is doing another document (not a book this time) about
A-range consoles

he has done quite a bit of research so far, and probably knows info about both your consoles.

We were working on that when I was there.  It sounds good.  Theyveven run of a single voltage rail. They doing a 7824 but have the v- as the ground ref to have it run off +24v

Originals had +24v on the preamp stage with +44v on the output amp. Guessing they didn't need as much headroom without the output stage?

pucho812 said:
. Then when Elliot smith passed  the current owners took over the studio spot and are running it with permission and such from the smith family.
No permission was needed, they bought the all of the gear around 2005 or so, and took over the lease of the room.  I don't remember exactly when but at that time, a mutual friend connected me with Joel and Robert and I helped them to sift through all of the crazy gear that Elliot had acquired from gear brokers and from the very early days of PayPal. It was a mess, to say the least. I helped to rescue them from an unscrupulous crooked tech who had been recapping it and basically making it worse instead of better.....and for a lot of money too! I got the console running, starting with a new power supply, got the Fairchild 670 working perfectly (back from the dead), restored the U48 , the U87 and even the "mystery Russian tube mic". Additionally, I breathed life into the MCI JH24 and the ATR102. I have kept the A Range console running on a shoestring budget and no schematics for more than 10 -12 years now, but indeed it is currently in need of some love. Glad you are making some headway.

dmp said:
Do you know what # your console is?

This pic is from the #13, which was the last one made I think. Transformers look like Sowter cans but are still labeled Zutt

wow, that's a lot of polystyrene!
the only place i find it on our console is a 22pf across some of the BC413s
and in some of the modded mic pres

hey, wutchoo guy got for attenuators?

all of our modules have grayhill, but i have seen a couple 1038s with something else...

the threads on a couple of ours are kinda stripped, and i gotta get a couple more.

i don't think the number on these is still the same, and i haven't researched the new number yet

(if the look of new green circuit board is disturbing, the explanation is here - https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/prorecordingworkshop/fawkin-a-those-darn-switches-t19410742.html  )

Attachments

• grayhill.jpg
    grayhill.jpg
    295.3 KB · Views: 24
QUEEF BAG said:
wow, that's a lot of polystyrene!
the only place i find it on our console is a 22pf across some of the BC413s
and in some of the modded mic pres
The unit I have pictures of is described in this doc

Attachments

• DSCN0283_TridentArange13.jpg
    DSCN0283_TridentArange13.jpg
    386.8 KB · Views: 14

what? ya man i didn't haft mount the lo pass switch board backwards?

i looked at it and thought it had to be turned the other way...  what a hassle with the wire bundle.

live and learn, die and forget it all

Attachments

• P7310806.JPG
    P7310806.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 26

Latest posts

Back