Schematic Decca M50 FET

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RuudNL

It seems that Decca has modified many Neumann M50 microphones.
They removed the AC701 tube and converted the electronics to a FET circuit, so that the microphones could be used with normal phantom power. Although I am not sure if this was a very wise decision, I would be interested to see the schematic they used for the FET version. Any ideas where this can be found?

I don't think so.
On the picture I once saw, there were a couple of transistors or FETs.
Also resistor values were different. (390 K.ohm etc.)
Here is a less detailed picture with only 1 transistor/FET visible, I can't find the 'better' one anymore.

neumann%20m50%20-%20decca%20fet%20modification%20-%202%20types.jpg

I just found better pictures.
The 390K, 75K (and 2.7K?) are still there.
Do I see a BC264 (FET) and a BC109?
(By the way: a pretty ugly construction, if you ask me...)

Attachments

• M50Fet.JPG
    M50Fet.JPG
    101.7 KB · Views: 91
I've collected a few pictures of the decca m49 and decca m50, even different versions of both. I'll send them to you.

Already send them (to your email), i thought i had more of them, but it seems i lost them. If i find them back, i will send those too.

I seem to remember Oliver posted a schematic of the solid state conversion at a forum years ago(early 2000's?)
I think it was for a KM54 not the M50 I would guess it is close.

Maybe a search could find it?

It looks like there are some photos in the GS threads (decca M49 though):
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/534844-new-neumann-m49.html
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/1137832-m49-decca-fet-flea-m49-ac701.html

RuudNL said:
I just found better pictures.
The 390K, 75K (and 2.7K?) are still there.
Do I see a BC264 (FET) and a BC109?
(By the way: a pretty ugly construction, if you ask me...)

Yes it looks like BC109 but the FET (pic is really blury) looks to me much more like BF254

I've seen a couple of different versions of M49 at least.
One with BC264 fet and single BC109 and a version with two BC109s.
Circuit is similar to 414 without DC/DC

Is it... ironic that those old circuits look as messy as they do (tons of flux residue etc), but nowadays we obsess(?) over the hi-Z area being pristinely clean etc?  :p

mrclunk said:
I've seen a couple of different versions of M49 at least.
One with BC264 fet and single BC109 and a version with two BC109s.
Circuit is similar to 414 without DC/DC

Then definately better ;)
Just speculating from what i see on blury pics. Just realised that what i wrote have no sense, because i was thinking about BF245 and BF254 is just some BJT :D Sorry for confusing ;)

Looks like correct pinout for BC264.
From left 3 (gate), 2 (source), 1 (drain).

Gate goes to high ohm resistor, drain direct to BC109, but i wonder what for is such small capacitance on the source, and where it goes (ground or some feedback? ), looks like 1p2.

RuudNL said:
No. It is a BC264. A BF254 is a NPN transistor, not a FET.

Yes sorry Rudolph,  just realised my fault, which about i wrote in upper post :D

Khron said:
Is it... ironic that those old circuits look as messy as they do (tons of flux residue etc), but nowadays we obsess(?) over the hi-Z area being pristinely clean etc?  :p

You would be truly surprised what you can find in many iconic microphones, starting from the boards quality for example.
In some (as even here) gate and and hiohm resistors aren't isolated from the board, just simple connection on the board trace.
"Tons of flux" also ;)

ln76d said:
i wonder what for is such small capacitance on the source, and where it goes (ground or some feedback? ), looks like 1p2.
On another picture I see that this small capacitor is 8.2pF.
One side of this capacitor is connected to the capsule, I suppose it is a feedback capacitor.

And yes, I agree... what a mess! (But apparently this is what vintage lovers like!  ;D )

Attachments

• 8p2.JPG
    8p2.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 57

Latest posts

Back