Does anyone here offer transformer rewinding?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dmichel123 said:
I need a large potted power transformer rewound. Does anybody here offer that service?

Given that's it's likely a weighty item for transit you're better off finding a local winding company.
Where are you based ?
Or a new one like Gyraf suggests.

+1 - CJ is the man for anything transformer related.  The only problem is that he does not charge enough!  I think he actually loves doing it so much that he cares more about the craft than the cash.

Theres no doubt about it CJ loves the tear down of old high quality transformers ,it all goes into his little black book of transformers . Down the line, due in large part to Cj's efforts, good transformer design technique won't vanish off the face of the planet. Pack it up and send it off  for disection and rewind. In the case of potted transformers with a phenolic tag plate mounted underneath it might be worth a little look underneath the plate if you can ,ocassionally a coil wire comes adrift inside when the connecting wire  is soldered on ,you may need to apply some heat to melt wax etc in order to prise off the plate ,is it a Quad II power transformer by any chance ?

Dmichel123 said:
I need a large potted power transformer rewound. Does anybody here offer that service?

* Please state where are you from, transformers are heavy, so freight is expensive,  and Customs people (if involved) freak at them, specially if going both ways.

* what transformer are we talking about, many are not worth it.

* pictures will certainly help

* as a side note, 40´s 50´s transformers were usually potted in tar which is messy but can be remelted; wax has lower melting point and is not really suitable for Tube equipment.

* if "modern" (think late 60´s up), potting may be Polyester or even Epoxy ... consider them unrepairable on practical grounds.

I have "rewound" lots of US made Fender guitar amps, typically bought in Miami used at half retail price ... only to find they have 115 or 117 or 120 primaries *only* (they are meant for inside US market) , think Fender Twin Reverb and such, which when back to Argentina must carry everywhere a *heavy* 1000VA 220/110 autotransformer.

Those from late 70´s had transformer bells bolted on and polyester + some kind of mineral load (think fine quartz or Industrial Talcum or Gypsum) was poured through a hole, effectively turning it into a solid brick.

Excellent for reliability but absolutely unrepairable, so I just rewound another exact same specs and reused original bells and hardware.

ruffrecords said:
Some old core materials are no longer made so that could be a good reason for a rewind.

Yes - but for a power transformer it should be possible to produce an equivalent with modern cores + materials.
Unless it's a very specific requirement but the OP hasn't revealed much about the specifics.

Newmarket said:
Yes - but for a power transformer it should be possible to produce an equivalent with modern cores + materials.
Unless it's a very specific requirement but the OP hasn't revealed much about the specifics.

Depends whether he means power as in supply or power as in output.

Cheers

Ian

The transformer is the power transformer from a Signal Corps/ITC AM-186 limiter. I'd like to keep it original. There is a large Freed on eBay that looks like it may work, but I want to explore my options for rewinding first.

Attachments

• PT.jpg
    PT.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 25
Mmmmmhhhh, nice piece of vintage equipment.  :D

From looks, it should be potted in tar, which makes it at least "doable".

Personally I would have a new one wound from scratch, same lamination size and stack of course, you have all needed voltage and current specs visible, and pot it inside the original can ... best of both Worlds .

Back