Microphone measurement services?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ramshackles

Anyone know of any companies offering mic measurement?
I found a couple online but based in the US. I'm looking for ones in Europe; preferably in the UK or France. (Just to save time and $$ on postage).

Would any manufacturers measure a mic?

For what purpose? Do you need someone with a degree in engineering and an anechoic chamber to provide a fancy report with plots and SPL levels? Or you could just put it in front of a studio monitor and run whatever software.

ramshackles said:
Anyone know of any companies offering mic measurement?
I found a couple online but based in the US. I'm looking for ones in Europe; preferably in the UK or France. (Just to save time and $$ on postage).

Would any manufacturers measure a mic?
  I agree with squarewave's comment. For DIY purposes, such as calibrating or pairing mics, you can use a "kitchen" set-up. The biggest investment would be a reference mic; indeed the quality of measurement cannot exceed that of the particular reference mic you use.
I wouldn't expect any of the big manufacturers (Sennheiser, Beyer, ...) to provide measurement services.
Some boutique manufacturers may be able to provide these services, but often they don't have more facilities than a basic "kitchen" set-up; however, they generally have enough expertise and know-how to compensate.
Another possibility is to get access to a university lab; they are very often looking for opportunities to present their students with practical demands. Check Marseille, Le Mans, Montpellier, Dreux...

Thanks for the replies! Purpose is just DIY/checking a mic is OK. Don't need precise plots; just to know that a mics response is (broadly) as expected

Back