ramshackles

Microphone measurement services?
« on: August 27, 2018, 01:35:08 AM »
Anyone know of any companies offering mic measurement?
I found a couple online but based in the US. I'm looking for ones in Europe; preferably in the UK or France. (Just to save time and $$ on postage).

Would any manufacturers measure a mic?

squarewave

Re: Microphone measurement services?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 01:55:06 AM »
For what purpose? Do you need someone with a degree in engineering and an anechoic chamber to provide a fancy report with plots and SPL levels? Or you could just put it in front of a studio monitor and run whatever software.

abbey road d enfer

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 04:37:17 AM »
Anyone know of any companies offering mic measurement?
I found a couple online but based in the US. I'm looking for ones in Europe; preferably in the UK or France. (Just to save time and $$ on postage).

Would any manufacturers measure a mic?
  I agree with squarewave's comment. For DIY purposes, such as calibrating or pairing mics, you can use a "kitchen" set-up. The biggest investment would be a reference mic; indeed the quality of measurement cannot exceed that of the particular reference mic you use.
I wouldn't expect any of the big manufacturers (Sennheiser, Beyer, ...) to provide measurement services.
Some boutique manufacturers may be able to provide these services, but often they don't have more facilities than a basic "kitchen" set-up; however, they generally have enough expertise and know-how to compensate.
Another possibility is to get access to a university lab; they are very often looking for opportunities to present their students with practical demands. Check Marseille, Le Mans, Montpellier, Dreux...
Who's right or wrong is irrelevant. What matters is what's right or wrong.
Star ground is for electricians.

kosi

ramshackles

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2018, 01:18:20 PM »
Thanks for the replies! Purpose is just DIY/checking a mic is OK. Don't need precise plots; just to know that a mics response is (broadly) as expected

gyraf

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2018, 02:50:30 AM »
Ask your local university? They're often well-equipped with reference tooling, and love a chance to use it...

Jakob E.
..note to self: don't let Harman run your company..