Some sellers describe their pots as having "synthetic carbon" track ???

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeyB

Some sellers describe their pots as having "synthetic carbon" track - is this indeed conductive plastic or something else??

Well, no such a thing as "synthetic" carbon, which is a basic element.

Maybe they refer to graphite loaded plastic; the latter, yes, being a synthetic product.
You can add mineral dust charge to plastic, in widely varying proportions, and I guess a high enough carbon content will make it conductive.

I made custom pots in the old SEIWA factory,  and in that case I used Philips made conductive paint, basically finely ground graphite suspended in Phenolic resin varnish.

It was roller applied on Pertinax strips, dried/cured in a controlled temperature oven, and then actual tracks were punched out of that long strip.

Then contacts and "silver spots" were added at the end, before potentiometer final mechanical assembly (terminals, wiper, case, shaft).

A conductive plastic pot is basically the same, with the difference in the conductive strip technology.

Back