A drink for the Old Farts who don't show up no More

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

analag

A drink to New York Dave, a drink to Bcarso and a few others. Bcarso never contributed nothing but a bunch of big talk. The old days when true designers were here, I miss that. Now we have to contend with armchair theorists and such. CJ is probably still doing is lil thing, recreating etc. How's PRR still the king no doubt. Big shout out to the political analysts but I don't participate in that on a music forum, music is difficult enough to deal with. Peace

Brad isn't around anymore but he has an excuse (he's dead.  RIP)  Brad was still working on cutting edge stuff (like low noise MC head amp) right up to his death, just not around here.

Maybe try to figure out why major contributors get disappointed and leave.  I have some ideas but doubt that would help. It's hard enough herding cats on the internets.

JR

analag said:
Bcarso never contributed nothing but a bunch of big talk.

You're hilarious.

I had the pleasure of working on a small project with Brad and meeting him in person, he was very very talented.

Big talk my ass.

Brad was a sweetheart.    Such a kind l.a.  Member.
Dave?  I know him outside of here but I haven't seen much of him in the points beyond as of late, maybe at aes we can meet up and get some hero boy and egg creams from gem spa. Others like Keff, Keith, ssltech don't come around much anymore.  It happens.  It's the nature of the beast.
i wish them happy thoughts.

I see this place as getting more and more to be an educative place - and seen in that light, there's nothing wrong in people moving on and out, is there?

Grand and original designs were always rare - you still shouldn't underestimate the small layers of insight and ingenuity that slowly and over time forms the basis for someone's next step...

Well, the politics I could do without - but then again, I mostly just don't go there..

Jakob E.

Yeah Brad was a sweetheart alright.  Calling me Anal or some crap like that and dissing the AOC until PRR stepped in and validated the design. Lately I've been playing with Fets/ transformers and subminiature tubes and blowing money on plugins by upcoming guys like Klanghelm to name a few.

analag said:
Yeah Brad was a sweetheart alright. 
Yes he was, and one of the smartest guys around. I valued our exchanges on and off list. He had a life outside this place.
Calling me Anal or some crap like that and dissing the AOC until PRR stepped in and validated the design. Lately I've been playing with Fets/ transformers and subminiature tubes and blowing money on plugins by upcoming guys like Klanghelm to name a few.

I am raising a beer to Brad's memory right now.  8) 

Maybe I'll drink to you after you're gone.  ::)

JR

Haha, I'm a reader mostly now.  Hey John, I rather fired up the iron and my scopes than friggulate theory all day, lol. I can run over to the Drawing Board and show you what's been happening though.

I partially blame laymen like myself for the brain drain. That and the clone-wars crowd that came and went.
I can understand fielding questions all day rather than trading ideas that truly forward design would get taxing after awhile.  I do miss reading many of the old guard's posts.

/Here's to you, electron magician-ghosts.

/and one more to those who still offer up their pearls.

Cloning was never my thing, like when I'm on Youtube checking out the old dinosaur style studios. Everybody "got" the same set of so called vintage stuff, while I appreciate it I also hate it.  I mix entirely in the box with the analog gear as input source only. As I embraced circuit simulation I embrace hardware simulation aka plugins. It can only get better

I get the sense that by the time I finish my analog front end the code monkeys will have perfected the sound of pleasing nonlinearities.

At least I'll be able to say I intimately know everything about what I got, as outmoded as it will be.  ::)

Analogue is for capture, it's the camera. Manipulation is unquestioned in the box, true automation of every single parameter. I have half of my old stuff in a room somewhere I don't miss it

analag said:
Haha, I'm a reader mostly now.  Hey John, I rather fired up the iron and my scopes than friggulate theory all day, lol. I can run over to the Drawing Board and show you what's been happening though.
I'll pass on that... ::)

If you find you have too much time on your hands maybe answer some newbie questions. Kids today complain about the free advice they get, you'd get along with them just fine.  8)

JR

analag said:
I can run over to the Drawing Board and show you what's been happening though.

Heck yeah!

I have an entire folder of drawings, some posts, comments and links of yours..... I'll admit a lot of it is cryptic but, I'm treating it like a cryo lab of sorts for my intelligence..........

What are your thoughts on Dave P's EF85 compressor project???

https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=62689.20

I haven't been around as long.  But my impression seems to be that people would share their designs,  then others would try to exploit it for financial gain. Thus causing people to either leave or be less willing to share.

john12ax7 said:
I haven't been around as long.  But my impression seems to be that people would share their designs,  then others would try to exploit it for financial gain. Thus causing people to either leave or be less willing to share.

That makes sense..... Kinda stinks.... but understandable I suppose......

I've seen a couple of times where someone will pop up every now and then to ask a  question or looking for a long lost drawing and, after researching a bit who they are, I see that they are in the industry but don't contribute to anything here .... But I guess they are busy.....

analag said:
Analogue is for capture, it's the camera. Manipulation is unquestioned in the box, true automation of every single parameter. I have half of my old stuff in a room somewhere I don't miss it

You spotted a topic I've been thinking lately.

Do you know Wes Audio approach?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snkOoDUtvVk

For my taste, analog processing with digital control (while keeping the ability to control as usually) is the real deal for the future.

I think this is a clever way to bring analog audio processing to today's workflow.

End of the off topic

Back