Stancor is to UTC, as who (if anyone) is to Triad?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrG

Hey all,

I am a producer/mixer studio owner and vintage transformer enthusiast and I’ve very appreciatively been thoroughly enjoying this fine forum over the past year or so. This is my first post and as pedantic as it may seem, I’m not finding any info to answer my question.

So I wonder, given that there are many parallels between UTC and Stancor, is there a “sister” company to Triad, or something close to it?

Thanks much in advance.

MG

Are you referring to the fact that Stancor made several lines of transformers that mirrored some of the popular UTC lines (A, O and LS, mainly)? Stancor wasn't the only one. Thordarson had a line that corresponded to the A series UTC transformers too. As did ADC (O series for them). I didn't know it until recently, but Halldorson had A series copies too (though I'm starting to suspect that Thordarson must have purchased Gramer/Halldorson at some point, because the "A line" copies I've gotten hold of lately look suspiciously like Thordason cans/pins/labels. Even the datasheets look like they had the tops cut off of them where the Thordarson logo must've been. But the boxes don't lie - they were definitely Halldorson branded).

The fact is, UTC was the big dog of the industry. Nothing breeds imitation like success. Audio and test equipment manufacturers routinely swapped out parts between suppliers based on availability, price, etc. Having popular-styled models at the ready could only help in that regard.

Triad seemed to be in their own world. I'm not aware of any copies of any of their lines of transformers by other manufacturers. But some of the gurus like Doug and CJ may have insights I don't. Similar to Freed in that regard.

Of course, I'm talking about their off-the-shelf, standard models. They would all do work on spec, and you see that in the audio gear of the time, where one run might have UTC transformers and another ADC or Thordarson.

BT

Thank you very much for these insights, rackmonkey. I’m a fast learner and I’ve picked up a bunch in the past year or two, but this sort of info helps round out my practical understanding of the world of yesteryear’s transformer production.

You’ve nailed what I’m asking, btw. I’m very interested to hear if any of you other gurus have insights regarding anyone who followed in Triad’s steps. I have read CJ’s achronym breakout of “TRIAD” (lol), so I know it’s not particularly a well-loved design by the top dogs, but the sound is unique, which I find both thrilling and interesting.

Thanks to this fine community in advance,
MG

I'm sure you've seen U Take a Chance.....which is what many old-timers referred to them as.......

....and the not infrequent Asian hifi guy who says something like "how do they sound harsh and muddy at the same time?!?!"

rackmonkey said:
Triad seemed to be in their own world. I'm not aware of any copies of any of their lines of transformers by other manufacturers. But some of the gurus like Doug and CJ may have insights I don't. Similar to Freed in that regard.

Of course, I'm talking about their off-the-shelf, standard models. They would all do work on spec, and you see that in the audio gear of the time, where one run might have UTC transformers and another ADC or Thordarson.

BT

Interesting discussion. 
A few weeks ago I snatched these on eBay for 10 Euro. I didn't know anything about the manufacturer but the specs looked good. Only after they arrived I noticed that they have the exact same specs, pin out and terminals as the Triad HS-52 and HS-56... And the, what I think is, the mil spec code is also the same (TFIQXI3YY and TFIQXI6YY).
Does anyone know something about NYTRONICS INC.? Was it some kind of successor of Triad?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bdN4Lybg-6Np4yPhP6RiuEH-Oiy7ISyE/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kZLOzXJcpOO-3tRt9PFziYXDWpsSYPwh/view?usp=drivesdk

EmRR said:
I'm sure you've seen U Take a Chance.....which is what many old-timers referred to them as.......

....and the not infrequent Asian hifi guy who says something like "how do they sound harsh and muddy at the same time?!?!"

Hehe! Gotta love the anomalies...

Since I’m new here and while you’re here, Doug, I want to also thank you for all your contributions to this forum and elsewhere. I’ve read much of your sage advice and always look forward to more.

Best,
MG

Sure thing, welcome  I do like a lot of the top shelf UTC stuff.    I've been less enamored of much of the Triad stuff I've heard.  I've liked a lot of ADC, and a lot of people don't.  Everyone made something good, and some dogs, much of it lacks context now. 

Murdock said:
Interesting discussion. 
A few weeks ago I snatched these on eBay for 10 Euro. I didn't know anything about the manufacturer but the specs looked good. Only after they arrived I noticed that they have the exact same specs, pin out and terminals as the Triad HS-52 and HS-56... And the, what I think is, the mil spec code is also the same (TFIQXI3YY and TFIQXI6YY).
Does anyone know something about NYTRONICS INC.? Was it some kind of successor of Triad?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bdN4Lybg-6Np4yPhP6RiuEH-Oiy7ISyE/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kZLOzXJcpOO-3tRt9PFziYXDWpsSYPwh/view?usp=drivesdk

Very interesting, Murdock. I’ve seen these before but hadn’t realized the similarities. I’ll be curious what others think of this as well.

MG

Those NYTRONICS pieces:  those pin headers were made by a 3rd party, and that Mil part # was assigned to anything that had the same specs, regardless of manufacturer.  Doesn't mean they are wound the same, or sound the same, ut are reasonable substitutions. 

EmRR said:
Sure thing, welcome  I do like a lot of the top shelf UTC stuff.    I've been less enamored of much of the Triad stuff I've heard.  I've liked a lot of ADC, and a lot of people don't.  Everyone made something good, and some dogs, much of it lacks context now.

I think it was Fred Forssell that said that UTC and Freed were the only transformers he liked. He called Triad “the Ford truck of transformers”.

Not sure how comparable to Triad, but I like the old school Chicago company transformers ....  also Kenyon .... they both have a wide variety of models.

UTC A-series can be OK, but they need careful deployment - super efficient hum pickup is the biggest characteristic of them I know .. even with the optional shield. The ones I've used can sound OK too, but never heard anything special from them.

I love the look, but I hate cutting out their footprint  and the mounting holes are none  too robust :eek:

At todays prices, I'd prefer current builds any day!  Sowter, Cinemag, Jensen all gave me much, much better performance at similar or less outlay.

As a historical investment, however, nothing beats Triad and UTC  :)  There used to be deals to be had a decade or two ago.

EmRR said:

Great to know. Agreed totally on ADC - I sum some of my tracks through a great pair of ADC 114Fs... sounds smooth, rich, huge -  like audio version of 35mm film...

EmRR said:
Those NYTRONICS pieces:  those pin headers were made by a 3rd party, and that Mil part # was assigned to anything that had the same specs, regardless of manufacturer.  Doesn't mean they are wound the same, or sound the same, ut are reasonable substitutions. 

Great to know - thank you!

MG

Back