Scully 280´s MIC LINE Preamps (New member)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vivosonido

Hi Everyone, my name is Patricio Pierantoni, Im from Argentina, I've recording studio here calls VIVOSONIDO..

This is my first Post!...

I just own 8 Scullys 280s with the originals blue connectors, snakes, and remote control too...without the open reel.

My idea is to use them like MIC and Line PREAMPS at Studio.

Searching at the web I arrived to some posts about a Scullys modding,
But here in Argentina there's no info available about Scullys...
can you tell me more data about mods?..

I need first of all to make some Power Supply, an then I was thinking about adding Phantom power, -20 Pad, and y read some Post of a custom mod by using Mic Line Pre and playback together, giving 2 ways like modern and vintage sound...

sorry about my english, hope you understand.

Thanks!

Scully 280 electronic assemblies need no modification in order to use as microphone preamplifiers.
Simply power from -28 VDC.
Each assembly draws approximately 150 mA with the 1828 meter lamp installed.

As you need phantom and input controls, am suggesting you fabricate an external multi-channel phantom power supply with polarity and -20 dB input attenuators;
thus only one +48 VDC supply and less re-working of the Scully electronics.

Restrapping the A-39 input transformer primary windings in series will indeed increase input impedance and lower the gain by approx. 6 dB.  Perhaps via a toggle switch as the preamp noise performance will suffer.
A -20 dB input attenuator is arguably more useful.

In my opinion, Scully electronics as mic preamps are useful but not stellar. 
As a complete tape machine, the sonics are legendary.
Do hope you find the transport and piece it back together.

Back