Falling in love with Toroids!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mics

Hi All.

As many of you know, we have been making transformers after having some lams made.

I had a heap of torroid cores made from the same lam material and have started winding  some toroids.  All i can say is wow!  They sound amazing and absolutely huge.

Who here has used toroid mic output transformers and what do you think of them?

Attachments

• 364783C6-3E09-45D9-BC8B-FFAA4014098C.png
    364783C6-3E09-45D9-BC8B-FFAA4014098C.png
    672.9 KB · Views: 131
The Coles 4038 and the Royer 121 both use a toroid i think.
Samar (also a member here) also makes some toroids, but mostly for ribbon microphones afaik.
Never heard of someone who uses them for tube or fet microphones, but why not?

Yes Samar Audio / Omni8 Audio builds and uses them in their products.

Also built one for Ronin Applied Sciences’ Pegasus mic. I got to record a client with one (heard only about 10 were ever built, sad) a few times and instantly fell in love with it! I’m currently gathering parts to build a bastardized-version of one! Got the C3g tube and Samar is building me an inductor; and has a leftover toroid transformer from the Pegasus run. Now just need the capsule from Luke Audio and a pearl/cream/off-white BeesNeez 60mm body!

Like royer, we have been using a toroid in our judas ribbon mic forna long time but i haven’t done too much as far as for our tube mics.

The cores that i have had made are quite large and so is the end result. 

The smaller one in the picture at 13:1 is really surprising!  I wound it on our toroidal winder (gorman) and just love the detail.  DCR is very low on both primary and secondary. 

I replaced fhe standard ei that we use in the Elly Fet with the 13:1 toroid and the result is huge. 

The large model is wound to suit any mic that the bv-8 will suit.  6.5:1.  I made a small change though, there are 3 secondary options on board.
Standard 200Ohm but x 2 so you can get a dual sec and also have the option of a 50Ohm sec as well.  It has a single Primary and sonically, amazing.

I guess what i’m looking for is some beta testers before we go into full swing on these.

I cant give them away but am happy to offer these at a labour/parts rate.

I have 30 of each ready to go but a condition of sale is some feedback please!

Does AUD$40 or USD$30 each plus shipping sound like a fair price?

Thoughts

Cheers

Attachments

• 01A1B75B-B87F-460E-A18C-84A59B148C4B.jpeg
    01A1B75B-B87F-460E-A18C-84A59B148C4B.jpeg
    619.9 KB · Views: 92
Definitely fair game... I’ll try one of each! I’ll eventually try your others too.

I really wanted to try Samar’s in my C12-types, but size was the issue, so just went with Samar’s traditional large-core. So instead, I’d love to try a toroid in a bastardized-version on the Lucas CS-1.

Recording Engineer said:
Definitely fair game... I’ll try one of each! I’ll eventually try your others too.

I really wanted to try Samar’s in my C12-types, but size was the issue, so just went with Samar’s traditional large-core. So instead, I’d love to try a toroid in a bastardized-version on the Lucas CS-1.

Send me your details [email protected]

I’ll get rwo out today.

Thanks

Ben

Hello Ben,

what are the dimensions and mounting facilities of the 6,5:1 trafo?

Right now I´m at the design stage of a one-off custom microphone that´s gonna be using the Haufe BV 08.
Could be an interesting comparison.

How much is shipping to Europe/Austria?

MS Vienna said:
Hello Ben,

what are the dimensions and mounting facilities of the 6,5:1 trafo?

Right now I´m at the design stage of a one-off custom microphone that´s gonna be using the Haufe BV 08.
Could be an interesting comparison.

How much is shipping to Europe/Austria?

Here is a pic of the sizes. 

For mounting, they can be clamped with a through screw and washer or strapped.

Height is also going to be in a pic.

Attachments

• 0888ACA7-284C-44C5-98E6-FDAA38724063.jpeg
    0888ACA7-284C-44C5-98E6-FDAA38724063.jpeg
    167.7 KB · Views: 61
Height.

Ruler is metric. cm.

Attachments

• CF5429AB-014D-4189-89F3-57FA3BDD7B74.jpeg
    CF5429AB-014D-4189-89F3-57FA3BDD7B74.jpeg
    632.5 KB · Views: 49
mics said:
Hi All.

As many of you know, we have been making transformers after having some lams made.

I had a heap of torroid cores made from the same lam material and have started winding  some toroids.  All i can say is wow!  They sound amazing and absolutely huge.

Who here has used toroid mic output transformers and what do you think of them?

I would be interested to hear about their construction. According to Bill Whitlock (Jensen):

"Audio transformers don’t often use toroidal cores because, especially in high-bandwidth designs where multiple sections or Faraday shields are necessary, physical construction becomes very complex."

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
I would be interested to hear about their construction. According to Bill Whitlock (Jensen):

"Audio transformers don’t often use toroidal cores because, especially in high-bandwidth designs where multiple sections or Faraday shields are necessary, physical construction becomes very complex."

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian.

I haven’t read this paper but looking at your quoted text, I would assume that Bill is referring to more complex amplifier output transformers as there is no need for this type of sheilding, gapping or complex section winding in a microphone output transformer.

We do impliment Section winding in these tramsformers in order to keep inter winding capacitance lower.  Section winding like this also gives more control over tonal qulities of the transformer.

Thanks for your question and comment.

Ben

Back