Siegfried Linkwitz RIP

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KrIVIUM2323

Siegfried Linkwitz passed away some days ago.
Anyone who ever had done something related to loudspeakers knows how much this guy have done to audio ( and this was a hobby for him, he worked as an engineer for HP ).

Thank you so much  and thoughts to his family.
RIP Mr Linkwitz.

RIP

"One thing Linkwitz said stuck with me. I'd asked him about measurements, and the often considerable difference between what's seen in measurements and what's actually heard in listening. 'What is important to the eye is not necessarily important to the ear,' he said. 'Why should it be? Nature makes sure each does its job and does its job perfectly. You get cues from the eye, but some things that look gross in the frequency response, the ear says, "I don't care".'

"That from a guy who's more a scientist than an artist. Never forget those words when you look at measurements, in Stereophile or elsewhere. Measurements are useful tools, but don't let them hold you hostage."

https://www.stereophile.com/content/siegfried-linkwitz-rip

RIP

[edit] I met the professor back in the 80s at an AES show in NYC. He pointed out a subtle EQ error in the RIAA playback EQ of one of my phono preamp kits, and helped me tweak it correct.

I also got him to recommend a text book for me to study to fill in some of my missing gaps. The Network analysis book he suggested is still on my bookshelf, started but remains unfinished.  From my one brief encounter with him several decades ago he was good people and will be missed.  [/edit]

JR

His website is a wonderful collection of interesting and useful things related to speaker design and testing. He was not just a great engineer, but a great guy for taking the time to share so much of his work with the rest of the world.

JohnRoberts said:
RIP

[edit] I met the professor back in the 80s at an AES show in NYC. He pointed out a subtle EQ error in the RIAA playback EQ of one of my phono preamp kits, and helped me tweak it correct.

I also got him to recommend a text book for me to study to fill in some of my missing gaps. The Network analysis book he suggested is still on my bookshelf, started but remains unfinished.  From my one brief encounter with him several decades ago he was good people and will be missed.  [/edit]

JR

Can you tell the name/author of the book?

Just 2 weeks ago I was looking at his webpage, shocking news to find he is gone.

user 37518 said:
Can you tell the name/author of the book?
Network Analysis by M.E. Valkenburg...  (3rd edition)

It looks like I spent some time in the area discussing Fourier Series, but not much else.
Just 2 weeks ago I was looking at his webpage, shocking news to find he is gone.
Death is the one fight we all lose. He left a mark so will be remembered.

JR

Latest posts

Back