thread at another forum

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gus

GS is oasys for people looking for quick fixes.

Is it expensive piece of gear, or one magic capacitor that solves everything, doesn't matter. It's never about craft, ears, experience, time invested, it's always that one thing that keeps being out of reach, one magical secret no one is willing to share.

I think the OP on GS appended his question to an already very long thread. I think he would have got a better response if he had posted a new thread here. GS is a magnet for technical anarchists who delight in spreading false information so  it is not a good place to get answers to technical questions.

Cheers

Ian

I agree that the change from 470 pF to 1000 pF doesn't make any sense in such a high impedance circuit!
Also I think this remark is a bit strange:

Don't expect a lot of depth from that design, it's not really there with that capsule and transformer design.

So what is wrong with the design? As far as I can see it is a copy of the original schematic.
Is he saying that Neumann makes pretty crappy microphones?

An increase from 22 to 47 uF of the source decoupling capacitor may increase the level of extreme LF a fraction, although I don't expect a significant change.

Best way to really extend the low end, is to modify the permanent roll-off filter, by increasing the value of C5 (0.033 or 0.047 uF).
I have measured the LF response of U87 microphones and often the electronics are not within spec.
At 40 Hz attenuation should be 3 dB, but usually I measured a higher value. This could be corrected by changing the value of C5.

That was me. I got tired of waiting for responses to the actual question I had asked twice here. I'm glad I did post it at GS, because regardless of the clown show over there, I ended up getting a few suggestions, especially the one from Ian.

The additional discussion about the theoretical circuit stuff is pretty amusing.

And Ian, I actually did post the same inquiry as a separate question here in June.
https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=69342.msg883289#msg883289

I had also previously posted it in the D87 thread, (maybe even twice) where it got lost in the fray or ignored or whatever. 

And Gus, the answer to the capsule question is that it's a prototype built for me by a guy who has several decades of professional capsule development and manufacturing. I'm not allowed to say any more about it at the moment, but suffice it to say that it was tested in a transformerless circuit where it exhibited the kind of bottom end I was expecting, yet not hearing in the D87. I built 3 D87's with different transformers, all with the same bottom end.

It's actually not the first time it was suggested to me that the circuit was the issue with not getting the low end extension I'd like to have from this mic. After having this mic shot out against a vintage u87i owned by a Grammy-winning engineer/Producer in Philly at his studio and having it reported back that pretty much everything below 600hz was identical (the only difference he heard was the D87 was a bit darker at 12k, but could be EQ'd to match), I've now come to believe that Dany's circuit is an absolute faithful recreation of the standard 87i as it was originally designed by Neumann, but it's my desire to see if I can mod it to get a bit more low end to customize it to my needs that precipitates the search to see if it can easily be done with a cap swap or two. And Ian's suggestion over at GS is the one I'm going to try after I get my next Mouser order in.  So again, Thank You, Ian!

It is true that the average build thread here is so long and cluttered that almost no one who knows anything bothers to read them very often, mostly full of simple questions from beginners that get answered over and over....because they don't take the 2-3 hours required to make a condensed set of notes from a 124 page thread.  I don't think there's a solution to that. 

If you shootout a real Neumann against your clone you will be dissapointed over and over again, untill you get a real Neuman capsule in real Neumann body.

There is no substitute for that combo PERIOD!

And you can not even shootout a vintage mic against new one from a certain company, let alone third party capsule against vintage original that has been used for years.

The fact that guy is a grammy winner doesn't mean his mic is in perfect shape. It could mean quite oposite, that it was used heavily during the years.

Here are two vintage u87s measured side by side at my place. Identical electronics, both used at national TV and same batch, age.

You will get closer by just using an eq instead of wasting you time because of couple db of difference. You will never be able to match them that close.

Attachments

• numans.jpg
    numans.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 40
Yeah Kingkorg, I'm sure the guy who has worked with John Lennon, Bob Dylan, Amy Grant, Cypress Hill, Sting, Anthrax, Aerosmith and lots of other major artists and owns busy studios on both coasts, has no idea what a good 87 sounds like, especially the one that he calls his favorite mic of all time. If his mic is thrashed, then I'm sure he's a fool to be using it. And I'm sure the guy who has designed capsules for decades and built thousands of them has no idea what a good capsule sounds like, either. With all your obvious expertise, I should put you in touch with them to consult them on their sonics.

Your post is the epitome of why I get frustrated at this forum. Instead of telling me what I "can't" do just so you can puff up your chest to show us all what an expert you are in what apparently can't be done, it would be nice if, like Ian, you had an actual answer to the question posted in what possibly could be done. Think of it as a hypothetical... maybe it can't be done, but what if..? and if so, how? Now that's constructive. If you are capable of such a constructive response,  and if you actually know this circuit as well as you claim to, I'm open to any ideas.

Wordsushi said:
I'm sure the guy who has worked with John Lennon, Bob Dylan, Amy Grant, Cypress Hill, Sting, Anthrax, Aerosmith and lots of other major artists and owns busy studios on both coasts, has no idea what a good 87 sounds like, especially the one that he calls his favorite mic of all time. If his mic is thrashed, then I'm sure he's a fool to be using it.

In all fairness, you get used to what you are hearing, even if it's broken.  If it's your special mic, you make assumptions.  His mic may be brilliant, it may be somewhere less.  Mics are far harder to objectively quantify, and I know for certain you can go through a pile of same type preamps by ear and think they all sound fine merely because they pass non-offensive audio in a certain context, yet measurements will tell you some number of them have significant problems, like no low end at all.  The brain is really great at filling in missing content...just think of the crazy bandpass filtering people do in mixes to make things fit.  I don't mean to offend, but the point needs to be considered.  You have had a direct comparison, so that's a bit more than the average report around here, if you compare against a 3rd and 4th sample you'll know even more. 

kingkorg's points are well taken, and must be considered in the overall context.  I and many others rarely if never find a clone that sounds anything like the real thing, and it's a fallacy that has to be constantly dismissed.  People waste vast amounts of time chasing clone perfection to no satisfactory end, when the $/time ratio still votes in favor of getting the real thing.  If you're happy with you mic on it's own terms, that's a different thing.  There's plenty of info in this and all the other mentioned threads.  Spend the 3 hours making a personal notes document from the threads if you haven't, it's really the only way I've found.  Followed by making changes and recording control samples to compare. 

I believe Jim Williams and Klaus Heyne both change C4 as much for phase effects they claim to hear, as anything.  I think Klaus removes it altogether, which risks destruction of the FET from spurious events, though he says it never seems to happen. 

The capsule and the transformer always make the biggest difference, any mic, period.  Even a Neumann capsule will show the variance kingkorg shows in his graph and be within factory spec.  Changing either of those parts will do more for you than changing amplifier parts IMO.  Good luck. 

Well i just did tell you what can be done. You have to find original capsule and headbasket.  I don't have better answer untill i find capsule that performs like original.  And even then you might get situation like mentioned above with original capsules and low end response. And none of these to are busted. Those capsules are in great shape and have 5db of difference in low end.

Untill then you can use eq.

The sound of the microphone is also determined by off axis response. Good luck finding capsule/grille combo that performs like an original.

Your "grammy friend" arguments are pretty much  why people stay away from GS in the first place.

Like i mentioned in my first reply, you are looking for quick fix. There isn't one.

Wordsushi said:
.... the guy who has worked with John Lennon (rem.: † 1980), Bob Dylan, Amy Grant, Cypress Hill, Sting, Anthrax, Aerosmith .....
I am only wondering if this alleged 70's-grammy-guy is still recording or if he is already retired.... and if he is able to hear 10kHz after 40 years in business.

EmRR said:
It is true that the average build thread here is so long and cluttered that almost no one who knows anything bothers to read them very often, mostly full of simple questions from beginners that get answered over and over....because they don't take the 2-3 hours required to make a condensed set of notes from a 124 page thread.  I don't think there's a solution to that.

Actually there is a solution!
Check out Volker's build threads on D-AOC or D-LA2.
First post is edited from time to time to provide links to posts containing answers, and there are also compiled infos in pdf from the same thread.
There are a lot of gigantic build threads (GSSL, 1176...) that even when you want to read you cannot. It's impossible to stay focused going through them. But this sort of META stuff inside the build thread is very helpful.

But this doesn't excuse users not going through those build threads and asking same questions over and over!

:)

Luka

Wordsushi

First thing I would do is place the capsule in a real known good u87 get a baseline for the sound change from the capsule. Then you take the real u87 capsule and place it in your build note the changes think about it then redesign your build to work with that capsule.

Another thing why do people want to build the old u87 circuit? adjust the newer circuits you will be better off.

If the Ian adjustment is increasing the coupling cap value to transformer there is a trap in that don't think RC think LRC. I am surprised Ian posted that.  There is at least one thread at this forum about this. Here is a hint I would not do what has been posted. There are only so many parts in u87 gain stage

You need a different circuit or an adjusted circuit. You might need to pay someone for this.

So why should someone post this on the web? to give it away to "botweek microphone "designers""?

Last time I posted an adjust MXL v67 etc. circuit here I felt I was attacked in the thread by some people.

I stopped making detailed microphone posts, however I do post hints to help someone figure it out if they do research.

I also could be the capsule environment Has the capsule been used in a real 87? this would be for the capsule grill interactions that clones don't always get right.

What transformer are you using? This is a big deal.

I am really disappointed in this thread. It sounds more like GS than GS. It is not so much what people say more the way they say it. It puts my back up and I am not even the OP. The guy asked a simple question and he has got some good suggestions but the phrasing of many of the answers leaves a lot to be desired. Sorry Wordsushi, it is not usually like that here.

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
I am really disappointed in this thread. It sounds more like GS than GS. It is not so much what people say more the way they say it. It puts my back up and I am not even the OP. The guy asked a simple question and he has got some good suggestions but the phrasing of many of the answers leaves a lot to be desired. Sorry Wordsushi, it is not usually like that here.

Cheers

Ian

Why are you disappointed?

If it was what I posted , look at the transformer coupling cap values in all the microphone schematics you can find note were they "hover" around. Then try different values measure and also test by ear.

shot said:
Actually there is a solution!
Check out Volker's build threads on D-AOC or D-LA2.
First post is edited from time to time to provide links to posts containing answers, and there are also compiled infos in pdf from the same thread.

Yes!  A few originators do manage to summarize, but not very many. 

Thanks Ian. :) I appreciate that. You are a true gentleman. I will try the suggestion you posted on GS.

Analogguru, yes. Never stopped. Always busy. Since June, he has been working on the new  album for a superstar artist whose probably best known for her first album, which not only debuted at #1 on the Billboard charts but won Album of the Year and Best New Artist Grammys. I have a feeling his ears work quite fine.

The shootout with the D87 was done on a day off from that record and if anything, it completely validated that Dany Bouchard's circuit is right on the money and delivers the goods as promised. I really like the sound of this mic a lot and I know the capsule is capable of more low end. I just wanted to see whether I could coax it out of the D87 circuit somehow. It's that simple. I don't know why asking this question always seems to get so convoluted.

I've said all I feel there is to say for now and will leave you to your tinkerings. Thank you to all for jumping in. It's been enlightening and amusing and quite revealing on many levels. You made this Saturday afternoon pretty entertaining. I'm not mad at anyone, nor do I think any of you are stupid or full of crap. I think there are a lot of people passionate about mics here and if by chance, Ian's solution or some other solution achieves what I personally am looking for in customizing this mic's sound for my own personal use, I will post my findings here... that is unless I decide GS is more deserving of the post. ;) LOL.

Gus said:
Why are you disappointed?

If it was what I posted , look at the transformer coupling cap values in all the microphone schematics you can find note were they "hover" around. Then try different values measure and also test by ear.

Not really you but a little bit. I was more concerned about the attitude shown to the OP. Many of the replies I thought were not constructively helpful. Some of the attitudes shown I found to be patronising.

Cheers

Ian

Latest posts

Back