FPD Front Panel Design software for MAC???

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quadwould

Anyone know about a programme that can work with .fpd files??

i really dont have the time or means to access a PC

and I am loath to install Virtual PC on any on my Macs

anyone??

cheers
-david

[quote author="quadwould"]Anyone know about a programme that can work with .fpd files??[/quote]

Nope. It's their own propriatery format.

[quote author="quadwould"]I am loath to install Virtual PC on any on my Macs[/quote]

Why?

Peace,
Al.

He talks about installing it, so I assumed he already had it...

I hate Windows as much as the next guy, but I absolutely LOVE being able to run TubeCAD, emachineshop, FPD, etc. on my OS X box with VirtualPC. Of course, now that Microsucks bought VPC, I can see why you wouldn't want to install it. I circumvented the issue by buying an old (v6.1, IIRC) copy off of eBay for about $50 bucks...

Peace,
Al.

because i have had Windows viruses given to me in sessiosn and media from clients. these have no efefct on a mac UNLESS. you use Virtual PC.. that makes you Mac into a PC (in a way) and so it becomes suseptable to PC viruses. And the latest virus software does not sweep for every virus out there.

and if i were to lose a computer for even a day, i would be screwwed.

$$ as it can be put IS the problem.. though not in buying the software, but in the $$ and ££ lost by having a computer down or losing files due to a windows virus.

creepy avatar. :thumb:

I think you are misunderstood with how VPC works. ALl VPC is, is software that when lunched runs windows on your mac. It has it's own Virtual drives and mainly uses the mac in's and outs to work but again off it's own virtual HD. IF VPC is running and you go out of it to say launch pro tools or whatever and that file has a virus nothing will happen. THe only way for a PC virus to work via VPC is to open the document/program/file whatever within VPC. Then what will happen is VPC's virutal drive will become virused not your mac. Your mac will not be infected because again VPC does it's own virtual HD. you would have nothing to worry about. What I do, if I get a session from a client and it has a virus I would take it out on them for lost time. Just bill them. not to judge but who would deal with clients who have viruses in their resoective systems.

quadwould, that is a creepy avatar.

I use vpc. There is a certain satisfaction of being able to work in Windows and just click it off knowing that your Mac is right there.

Tim

same here... VPC. the windows drive is a discimage only. you can easely make a copy of that image for the case your windows "softdrive" gets infected, damaged or whatever. in this case just delete the image and raplace with the backup.

you can drag and drop your fpd file to the mac desktop for safety backup.... easy as 1,2,3.

steff

Its Father Jack from the TV series "Father Ted"

OK.. if everyone is now saying it is all safe to use VPC.. when i may give it a go. I still am having allergic reaction from even thinking about having "Flacidsoft" on any on my Macs....

i suppose i will have to get a new HD and install it and use it Only with no other running for when i use VPC... i am paranoid.. but i have not had any down time in my studio due to computers ...Ever .. touch wood... and i do not want to start now.

so i will have to give it a go.

VPC is just so painfully slow - you need a pretty quick machine to run it.
I used to run VPC just for FPD and ExpressPCB. The slowness was irritating.

Finally it dawned on me to just build a PC. I had an extra 40G harddrive laying around, a stick of PC100. Found a case with PSU locally for $30. So the total cost to build a PC was less than $200. Worth considering a cheap PC if you're concerned about viruses.

[quote author="tubemonkey35"]Yeah, that avatar is out of control! I almost can't read the posts with that thing looking at me.[/quote]

yes- i feeeeel the same!

David, - could you resize your avatar to the recommended 60x60 pixels?

As it is, it takes up a whole lot of screen real-estate on every thread you participate in, because the forum software resizes the whole coloumn when there's a too-large avatar..

JAkob E.

I am a mac user too
I's like to take this time to also suggest a software meta.
with a seperate mac section of course
also I've never heard that ref "Flacidsoft" that's funny and refreshing change form Windoze. lol (not to offend any PC users)

this VPC thing is something in need to know more about.
what about viruses that are designed to search and infect mounted drives in or connected to the system? (worms I guess?)

thank God a del tree command has no effect on a mac...haha
ALSO:
one little mac tip: quad
NEVER make a file on your mac named .sony
it has nothing to do with sony it is a acronym for something but...
basically this is the name of your floppy drive.
if a mac is confused as to why there are 2 floppy drives and one doesn't answer the ping from the sytem at start up your mac will not start up.
i'm not sure if thsi is relevent is OSX or not as i am still on OS 9.2
thanks for yor post
ts

ps you might want to look into changin that freaky avatar lol

what does .sony stand for?

anyway much like was talked about b4. VPC is mac software that emulates windows. When you install VPC software it makes an image(SP) of HD that only takes up space on the mac and has nothing to do with your mac otehr then take up space. When you launch VPC it reads off that file and has it acting like a HD. I have gotten windows viruses on my VPC HD and all it did was currput my VPC HD. I had to delete that HD image and it rendered vpc unuseable until I installed an image from the install CD. my mac was not harmed. it's a pretty cool lil program for running smaller pc stuff like front pannel designer and so forth I have run games on it b4 but dam where they slow and totally not worth it. Not the idea they sell you on but definately good for minor PC things like key gens and such.

Latest posts

Back