Neve line input transformers in the hands of a fool

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael coles

Hi there,

This is my first post here although I've been reading the forum for years.

Thanks so much to everyone who contributes as I've learnt so much so far! (Although if you continue reading this post you might think my initial knowledge may have been quite poor!)

So I bought a pair of  l31267 st Ives to put in my patch bay to essentially just throw in front of various mic pres. ( I wired them backwards pins  3-5 / 8-10 or whatever it is that's been mentioned previously on the site in the 1272 builds I think it's a 1:2 ratio)

Anyhow, I bought a few drawmer gates from an auction site and I've  found another 6 marinair l31267 equivalents Inside I think they are the t14... something or others
! So this got me thinking....

I've tried running a mix through the backwards l31267's and it sounds great... Could I line up all 8 (wired backwards) as the front end of a balanced passive l-r New York Dave summing mixer with 20k input impedance per channel? My thinking goes.... As the l31267 was originally for line level it should be happy at higher impedances so the same should apply backwards right?!

So sorry if this makes no sense.

Thanks to everyone who made it's this far.

All the best

Mickey :)

https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=4949.0
"31267 is a nice line to transistor input x-former (Neve)
10K:2.4K impedance ratio.
You could flip it around and use it as a mic to tube grid x-former perhaps.
(LA2a,Pultec, API....)"

Seems it would work reversed as a line amp send. Try and see and report your findings. Depending on number of channels, my guess is using a THAT 1240 would allow expansion options.

Back