Isn't it great when someting goes better than expected?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruffrecords

I have been designing some custom front panels in front panel designer. I exported them as pdf files and emailed them to the customer. But I wanted to make a drawing of  they way they would be arranged in the actual mixer. So I exported the separate panels fpd files as dxf and then opened a new drawing in my 2D CAD program (QCAD). This has an import feature. So I used this to import the first panel dxf drawing and place it on the blank mixer drawing. Then I imported the next one and to my surprise it would snap to the edge of the first one. In this way I was able to rapidly assemble a complete mixer's worth of modules. I saved this drawing in dxf format. Now QCAD has a pdf export function but it is clumsy to use and makes huge files that don't look that good. So instead I imported the mixer dxf file into Inkscape. Just used the default settings and let it get on with it. I then set the page size to the size of the drawing which is much easier to do in Inkscape than in QCAD. Lastly I exported the drawing from Inkscape in pdf format and it produced a really nice looking pdf of the whole mixer that I could send to the client. I think the whole process took not much longer that it took me to write this.

Ain't it great when things go your way for a change?

Have a nice weekend everyone.

Cheers

Ian

boji said:
Here's to your lull in Murphy's law! Cheers. Would the client care if we saw your work?

I think he would be fine with it. This is just a first draft. There is some blank panel space that will be filled in with bus master and monitor controls but otherwise it is complete. There is some tweaking to do the the controls as well.

Cheers

Ian

Attachments

• EdMixerV0.2ink.pdf
    70.1 KB · Views: 31
JohnRoberts said:
It is a rare but pleasant surprise when things work better than expected. So enjoy.

JR

Yes, it gave me a lovely warm feeling at the end of the day which I must say I did savour somewhat. I hope it happens again.

Cheers

Ian

Latest posts

Back