MC33078 in a Linkwitz-Riley crossover?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elskardio

Hi Guys,

I'm making modifications to a Bass Manager unit (Linkwitz-Riley crossover).

It's using MC33078 opamps everywhere. I'm not familiar with this IC... How does it perform in a filter circuit?

Thanks

I read somewhere it was one of Ted Fletcher's favorites.... A few people seem to regard them....

I do know those old Aardvark Q10 converters used them throughout as well......  sounded nice

elskardio said:
It's using MC33078 opamps everywhere. I'm not familiar with this IC... How does it perform in a filter circuit?
Good enough to be used (in its quad form 33079) in many Crown amps and devices.
I had it as a suitable second-source for the NJM2068 I used thousands of in graphic and parametric EQ's, but sometimes suffered shortage.

I've also used huge quantities of its derivative 33178, which, despite its low quiescent current (<500uA), is capable of driving a 600 r load. Nobody ever complained about its limited slew-rate (1.2 v/us), since it allows passing 20kHz at +14dBu.
I once made an experiment of using only one pair of 47uF electrolytics for decoupling a whole board with about 20 chips; I couldn't detect any sign of unstability. Unfortunately they were more often in shortage than not.

living sounds said:
Do you prefer the NJM2068 to the NE5532 in EQ circuits?
The 2068 has a slight advantage in terms of current consumption; when you have about 40 of them in a dual 31-band GEQ, it's something you need to consider.
In parametric EQ's, where the noise performance is paramount (and the chip count significantly lower) 5532 is a winner.
Never had the opportunity to try one of the new VLN/low-current opamps such as ADA4004 or OPA1602, though.

Latest posts

Back