Peavey Bandit 112 (Latest Model) External vs. Internal Speaker Connections

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgtrman

I have converted a Peavey Bandit 112 (latest model) into a head and I am just using the extension speaker out jack. I still have the direct to speaker cables but they are insulated and inside the head since I didn't wanna drill a new hole.

My question is if only using the extension speaker jack affects the guitar tone or power output.

Any info is appreciated.

As long as your total speaker load isnt below 4 ohms you should be ok ,
different speakers will of course change the sound to some degree .
Im not sure if plugging in the external speaker cuts out the internal connection or not ,but it could well do .
4 ohm speakers  will draw a little more power from a transistorised amp than an 8 ohm ,so 4 ohms might have a small bit more clean power to play with .

Tubetec said:
As long as your total speaker load isnt below 4 ohms you should be ok ,
different speakers will of course change the sound to some degree .
Im not sure if plugging in the external speaker cuts out the internal connection or not ,but it could well do .
4 ohm speakers  will draw a little more power from a transistorised amp than an 8 ohm ,so 4 ohms might have a small bit more clean power to play with .

Thx for the response. I am good on speaker impedance but I was concerned the external speaker alone might deliver a slightly different tone since it was designed to always have the internal speaker always connected (combo amp that is now a head for me).  Schematic looks like it shouldn't make any difference.

cgtrman said:
I have converted a Peavey Bandit 112 (latest model) into a head and I am just using the extension speaker out jack. I still have the direct to speaker cables but they are insulated and inside the head since I didn't wanna drill a new hole.

My question is if only using the extension speaker jack affects the guitar tone or power output.

Any info is appreciated.
I have not worked at Peavey since the turn of the century, and even back then I didn't work on guitar amps, but knew and talked with the guitar amp design engineers (back then).

From looking at current fab sheet, the new Bandit uses transtube technology (solid state vacuum tube emulation).  Speaker and cabinet contributes a bunch to a guitar amp's characteristic sound. The fab copy alludes to mimicking the higher source impedance / poor damping factor of vacuum tube amps.

I am not sure what you can accomplish using an external speaker. That original speaker/cabinet are probably tuned to play nice together. 

Good Luck

JR

@Gus not current feedback per se but positive feedback is likely used to elevate apparent output impedance to mimic tube amps.  Peavey did engineer some guitar amps with intentional speaker interactions but I didn't see any mention of "resonance" controls in modern Bandit fab.

Per the Bandit 112 schematic of the power amp, https://www.manualslib.com/manual/903864/Peavey-Bandit-112.html?page=5#manual it looks to me that the external speaker jack is wired in parallel.

Since my Bandit 112 combo is now a 112 head and I am not connecting the main speaker out to a speaker, only the external speaker jack is available on the rear panel. It seems plenty loud and tone is good but can anyone tell me from the schematic if I should be connecting to the main speaker out (which used to be connected to a speaker in the combo) and then only use the ext speaker out when I want to drive a 2nd speaker? Or does it even matter?

You could try pulling out your "main out" wires and driving your external speaker with that, and see if you hear any difference.  I doubt you will. Adding a second speaker does change the load on the amp, and with the high-output-impedance circuitry John was talking about, it could also change the sound. But all you can do is try it and listen to hear if you can tell the difference, but I suspect the speaker you choose will make more of a difference in sound than anything else.

there are many different schematics for that Bandit since it has been around longer than just about any other Peavey  amp.

if you call Peavey at  1 (877) 732-8391

or email them at

[email protected] 

give them your serial number which is stamped on the back plate of the amp, unless it is worn down beyond recognition or removed,

they will send you the exact schematic for your rev,

but it is probably about the same for most amps, if worried about it, simply use the pig tail wires, usually blu and yel, and solder them to the ext output jack,  i believe yel is plus,  blu is minus.

do you play country? for some reason everybody in Nashville plays a Peavey Bandit, i guess it is because  they are built like tanks and do not fall apart when loaded down concrete steps on a hand truck, the Fender Blues DeVille has a very tough time surviving this treatment and so keeps many a tech busy in guitar town.  Bands in Nashville start playing at about 11 am and go til 4 in the morning, rotating clubs until their fingers start bleeding through the super glue.

it looks like there may be a slight change in sound as another .33 resistor is switched in via the phone plug, which will decrease feedback by 50%, the sleave of the phone jack  switches in another .33 resistor to ground, so now two .33 ohm resistors in parallel which equals half the value of one .33 ohm resistor.>

if you want the exact same sound, clip out one of the .33 resistors, easy to spot, big cement sand blocks,

or just clip one of the leads in the middle which can be solder spliced later if you want to run int and ext spks together.

Attachments

• pv1.png
    pv1.png
    138.3 KB · Views: 11
CJ said:
there are many different schematics for that Bandit since it has been around longer than just about any other Peavey  amp.
IIRC it used to be 75W back in the day.... It was a very popular big seller.

or email them at

[email protected] 

give them your serial number which is stamped on the back plate of the amp, unless it is worn down beyond recognition or removed,

but it is probably about the same for most amps, if worried about it, simply use the pig tail wires, usually blu and yel, and solder them to the ext output jack,  i believe yel is plus,  blu is minus.

do you play country? for some reason everybody in Nashville plays a Peavey Bandit, i guess it is because  they are built like tanks and do not fall apart when loaded down concrete steps on a hand truck, the Fender Blues DeVille has a very tough time surviving this treatment and so keeps many a tech busy in guitar town.  Bands in Nashville start playing at about 11 am and go til 4 in the morning, rotating clubs until their fingers start bleeding through the super glue.

it looks like there may be a slight change in sound as another .33 resistor is switched in via the phone plug, which will decrease feedback by 50%, the sleave of the phone jack  switches in another .33 resistor to ground, so now two .33 ohm resistors in parallel which equals half the value of one .33 ohm resistor.>
I suspect the second 0.33 Ohm resistor on the external speaker jack is to keep it sounding the "same" with second speaker plugged in.

So agreed if using just one speaker, there should only be just one 0.33 in the ground leg. It is likely related to the damping factor (positive feedback) tweak.

If you make modifications, perhaps put a note inside the box, so you or whomever can undo it later.

JR
if you want the exact same sound, clip out one of the .33 resistors, easy to spot, big cement sand blocks,

or just clip one of the leads in the middle which can be solder spliced later if you want to run int and ext spks together.

CJ said:

or email them at

[email protected] 

Thx for the great info. So I can opt o either clip out one of the .33 resistors OR add a second spker jack for the original main speaker out. If I add a 2nd speaker out jack, does it need to be plastic and therefore insulated from chassis ground or does it make a difference?

JohnRoberts said:
IIRC it used to be 75W back in the day.... It was a very popular big seller. I suspect the second 0.33 Ohm resistor on the external speaker jack is to keep it sounding the "same" with second speaker plugged in.

So agreed if using just one speaker, there should only be just one 0.33 in the ground leg. It is likely related to the damping factor (positive feedback) tweak.

If you make modifications, perhaps put a note inside the box, so you or whomever can undo it later.

JR

Thx for the response as well.

cgtrman said:
Thx for the great info. So I can opt o either clip out one of the .33 resistors OR add a second spker jack for the original main speaker out. If I add a 2nd speaker out jack, does it need to be plastic and therefore insulated from chassis ground or does it make a difference?
since the speaker low is actually going through a 0.33 ohm resistor to ground, I suspect an insulated jack would be useful.

JR

Latest posts

Back