Applying a leather edge on metal plates for vintage style PSU

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zebra_PD

Hi,
I would like to pimp the PSU casing of my ELAM m251 build. Have one of the vintage style Alctron cases used for the FAME V-12 and some other OEM mics.

I would like move the front and back plates and attach leather on the edge's of the metal plates. To get a more close look of the original telefunken PSU.

It's problebly possible to get some premade edge protection to just skewer on the edge's. But since English is not my native language I'm have a hard time finding the words to search for something like that.

If not there is possible to find that kind U shaped leather protection. Any ideas on how to go about attach leather of the edge's?

Here are a link to some photos of the original PSU to show what I mean with leather edge's:)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/35462885@N03/3285333860/in/photostream

It would be called "edge trim" or "edging" in English. At least that's what it's called when the material is rubber or plastic.

Gold said:
It would be called "edge trim" or "edging" in English. At least that's what it's called when the material is rubber or plastic.

Thx you! Sometime the most obvious  answer is the right one.

Yeah I had second look on the pictures of the telefunken psu and it looks like they used plastic with a leather look.

shabtek said:
This? Not leather...

RS 619-1540

That would could be an idea if I could find a brown one... My father in law had the same suggestion. There called "volvolist" or "Volvo-edging" here in Sweden since they where often used on the edge of car doors on old Volvo cars :)

I might have figured out an sulution. Using self adhesive vinyl plastic with a leather look and making a U-shaped edge-trim of my own.

But if someone have a better suggestion I'm open for ideas :)

Well I bought some pvc edge trim today at a local car parts store. They only had black ones but wanted to see if the idea would work. And it did work great!

And I also found a vintage car store in the UK that had the same type of edge trim in brown colour. So will order some from them!

Here is the link to the store:
https://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/products/751-container-edge-trim-pvc-standard-size

The same edge trim could be find on eBay also but did only find US or Chinese  sellers.

Also bought some grey hammerite type vintage metal paint so will post some pictures when it's all done.

Thx all for the help!

Back