Nyan 1073 EQ =^x^= (formerly Cheap's73 / Poor Man's 1073)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whoops said:
ahahaha

I'm loving this

Hehe, thanks ^^ I've built the Project87 I/O yesterday. Here's what's left to do now:

- add an Arduino for digital read-out & re-call.
This is also going to massively simplify the final measurements, because I don't have to guess the "flat" settings. I'm going to use stereo pots and an OLED display for this. One half of every pot is going to be connected to the EQ circuit, the other half is used as a simple voltage divider connected to 5V, GND & one of the analog inputs of the Arduino. I got two different OLEDs I'm going to try. To make this work just pay attention to the following specs: 128x64px or 128x32px in size; powered by an SSD1306; SPI or I2C support. My initial proof-of-concept code is already on GitHub.

- add a front panel & case. I'm going to go with a 1U, half rack format and have already cut out a blank panel. You can find my photoshop template on GitHub. The knob layout is still work in progress.

So after around 18 months, this project seems like it's finally coming to a close 8) Because I've put so much dedication into this, I am also going to choose a different name for the final revision, currently thinking about Nyan 1073 EQ (Not yet another 1073 EQ).

Attachments

• IMG_20200125_000418.jpg
    IMG_20200125_000418.jpg
    740.4 KB · Views: 61
Note: if you ever build something with an Arduino, you most definitely want to shield it from the rest of your circuit before you start putting it all in a box! :eek:

Attachments

• arduino_shield.png
    arduino_shield.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 96
Hey I'm interested in building this! I have a lot of fun building PCBs and such. I noticed on your GitHub that your schematics are Rev 8 but the BOM is Rev 7. Is there any difference in parts between Rev 7 and 8?

About how much in parts do you think it all costs? Aside from an enclosure and such.

Thanks!

I've just updated the BoM. Here's a rough estimate for the cost:
- 20€ for the caps
- 5€ for the OpAmps
- 5€ for resistors & trimmers
- 15€ for Pots & Switches
- 5€ for 2 TRS sockets and the parts for the balanced I/O (https://sound-au.com/project87.htm)

This is awesome. I'd be in for a pcb should you do a round.  Maybe I missed something but what is the arduino doing?
Several monitor controllers I built used an arduino, teensy, and yeah I had to encase them away from the audio as noise was noticeable.

Hey thanks :) I have no interest in doing a PCB myself (hence why I put additional effort in making my perfboard as PCB-like as possible) but if anybody wants to pick up this task, I'll be happy to assist.

Aout the Arduino:
krabbencutter said:
- add an Arduino for digital read-out & re-call.
This is also going to massively simplify the final measurements, because I don't have to guess the "flat" settings. I'm going to use stereo pots and an OLED display for this. One half of every pot is going to be connected to the EQ circuit, the other half is used as a simple voltage divider connected to 5V, GND & one of the analog inputs of the Arduino. I got two different OLEDs I'm going to try. To make this work just pay attention to the following specs: 128x64px or 128x32px in size; powered by an SSD1306; SPI or I2C support. My initial proof-of-concept code is already on GitHub.

So I am ever so slowly putting this together in Eagle as I am more comfortable with it. I am debating putting one of the circuits (possibly the HP) which uses a Lorlin on a front panel mount pcb. Unless someone knows of another solution that is. I suppose i could use a two deck grahill.

I also have some questions about some additional resistors in the circuit path:
- there's a 39k going to ground, when the HPF is switched off
- then there's a 10k in the HPF across the 10H & 7H inductor tap
- last but not least a 220k across the 450mH tap in the presence filter. This is only found in the _Issue5.pdf, which features the correct wiring for the T1530 inductor compared to the -fullpak.pdf

(see attached image for reference)

Can anybody shed some light on those?

@Rocinante you might consider including those resistors in your pcb layout, just to be safe.

Attachments

• 1073_resistors.jpg
    1073_resistors.jpg
    423.8 KB · Views: 98
"@Rocinante you might consider including those resistors in your pcb layout, just to be safe."
Cheers. Will do.  May the 4sbwitu2

Not until I have finished the case. Trying to do a video now would only result in 5 minutes of me swearing and de-bugging things, because I need 4 hands to hold everything together and turn knobs at the same time :p

Case update attached :) I might do a small video over the weekend.
I also just noticed that this topic hit 5532 views and I really like that number  ;D

Attachments

• IMG_20200131_165954_2.jpg
    IMG_20200131_165954_2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 124
I recorded a drum loop from NI's Abbey Road Modern Drummer and applied different settings to kick, snare and hihat. The recording switches between the unprocessed drums and the processed version. You can find the file in my repo.
I've also attached an image of my power connector layout.

Attachments

• eurorack_powerLayout.jpg
    eurorack_powerLayout.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 59
krabbencutter said:
I recorded a drum loop from NI's Abbey Road Modern Drummer and applied different settings to kick, snare and hihat. The recording switches between the unprocessed drums and the processed version. You can find the file in my repo.
I've also attached an image of my power connector layout.
nice progress
but "digital" ?
automation option as well  ?  :eek:

cheers

Latest posts

Back