Prices of Vintage Iron

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phrazemaster

I've been more than a little surprise at the recent surge in prices in vintage iron.

When I bought a pair of HA100X for LA2A's I paid about $700 for the pair, and I thought that was exorbitant. That was about a year ago.

I just think it's sad that components fall into the same capitalistic grist mill that drives the prices of "rare" items through the roof.

I think many sellers are just into it for that reason.

At this rate it might be more profitable to part out your gear rather than sell it outright  :eek:

PS - even though this listing is from Australia, that price is correctly in USD. Clicking the listing shows around $900 Australian dollars...

Attachments

• ha100x.JPG
    ha100x.JPG
    25.6 KB · Views: 24
It seems like it isn't all vintage iron, it's vintage iron from specific gear like the LA-2A. 

You can buy really nice vintage transformers for about the same price as a new transformer that would be as good or better than the HA100x for less money. UTC LS, Jensens, etc...
I used Jensens on a LA2A and it sounds great.

More demand drives up the prices. The other people shelling out for them are doing it for the same reason as you did. Not many people will choose to sell below the market price.
But yes, it is ridiculous that parting out a vintage LA2A could happen so someone can get the transformers for a clone (or get the transformers as a speculative investment?) But with vintage LA2As selling for $2500 doesn't seem like that would happen.

I have some original 2622's that I put in the classifieds. I priced them at around the same as original 10468.

I've NEVER seen 2622's for sale anywhere I don't think. I bought them about ten years ago...maybe more.

I sold my LA-2A to a producer with Sowters onboard.  He compared the sound with a vintage LA-2A in the US and said there was no difference, so he was well pleased.

If a transformer is driven on the straight part of the transfer curve, then the sound should be similar if the frequency ranges are equal.  If transformers are over-driven, then particular characteristics may become evident, but how many engineers routinely do that?  If vintage transformers were the only things worth listening to, then no modern gear would ever be sold.

DaveP

DaveP said:
I sold my LA-2A to a producer with Sowters onboard.  He compared the sound with a vintage LA-2A in the US and said there was no difference, so he was well pleased.

If a transformer is driven on the straight part of the transfer curve, then the sound should be similar if the frequency ranges are equal.  If transformers are over-driven, then particular characteristics may become evident, but how many engineers routinely do that?  If vintage transformers were the only things worth listening to, then no modern gear would ever be sold.

DaveP
What? You mean merely sending the electrons through said warm vintage gooey awesomeness doesn't impart magical essence to it? Heresay!

Phrazemaster said:
I've been more than a little surprise at the recent surge in prices in vintage iron.
some are buying as investment, others for the "sonics".
API 2622's are escalating in value rapidly, years after getting no respect, many thrown in the trashcan.
just one 2622 on ebay as of Oct. 2018.
doubtful that LA-2/2a's being parted out for the HA-100x.
many of  those transformers taken from Ampex 350 and companion mixer assemblies.

What do you know...there is one on Ebay. It's the first one I've ever seen for auction.

I don't know why it would merit no respect. It's the original input transformer for the API 312 preamp? No different than an original input such as 10468, or anything else. Super rare, if you want the actual transformer.

desol said:
I don't know why it would merit no respect.
because the kool-aid guzzling techs were told the 2622 was "smearing" the mid-range.
now some folks are using their ears, reading fewer advertisements.

Ridiculous. Smearing the midrange? Honestly.

How many amazing records were done on desks with unmodified 312's. 

My 312's (70's 325's w/2622's added) sound very, very good...CLEAR(not bright)...and powerful. Not unintelligible in any way. Good bottom...good all the way around.

desol said:
Ridiculous. Smearing the midrange? Honestly.
honestly.

http://www.technicalaudio.com/pdf/Jensen_Transformers/Jensen_Application_Notes_and_Papers/Jensen_Why_Do_Jensen_xfmers_have_Clearer_Midrange_and_Top_End.pdf
desol said:
How many amazing records were done on desks with unmodified 312's. 
not one of my  favorite tunes, but the Gordon Lightfoot ballad "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"
was done on a stock API, with if I may add, one of the only seven MM-1000-24 machines.
the sonics, imho, are testimony of the excellent components and design of early API.

gridcurrent said:
honestly.

http://www.technicalaudio.com/pdf/Jensen_Transformers/Jensen_Application_Notes_and_Papers/Jensen_Why_Do_Jensen_xfmers_have_Clearer_Midrange_and_Top_End.pdfnot one of my  favorite tunes, but the Gordon Lightfoot ballad "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"
was done on a stock API, with if I may add, one of the only seven MM-1000-24 machines.
the sonics, imho, are testimony of the excellent components and design of early API.

I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at, but modified could mean a number of things meaning not stock...which doesn't necessarily mean altering the mike preamp. But whatever, I'm certainly not going to start back talking a classic transformer because of technical improvements. Improvements have often led to people wanting the original sound 'back'.

"API did use Jensen for some time, but have not for many years now. All of the current transformers are made to the original specification under our supervision. The 2622 is a 6-wire version, which we still manufacture. They can be acquired through the API service department. "  -  API sales

Latest posts

Back