JLM99V

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

i am considering the JLM99v Mic Pre Kit, i have read some good reviews of it here. i would like to know what people are comparing it to and which transformers are best to use

alo
compared to api 3124+,and tl audio pa1.
love it on egt,and with a beyer m500 on vocals(mine),man.....
as for tranny`s,i used lundhal for the input,and notranny out.
i would like to try joe`s own tranny`s.
go ahead and make yourself a pair of 99v`s.i can swear you won`t regret it.
best regards
pedro

[quote author="aussie_soundguy"]i am considering the JLM99v Mic Pre Kit...[/quote]
then give Joe a call

a number of us have posted here at great length and even have a web page or two

Dave- Soundguy is a big rap
and Matt has good words to say but then he works for Joe
and I've said stuff ... often enough.
:roll:
When Joe's input trafo is ready, he will let us know and it will be excellent.
Until then a version with the proven and reliable OEP will do just fine for your needs.

A simple JLM99v dual with the DI option and the GoTo board with the Power Supply to suite and 90 % of the parts in the posted package and things will be easy.

It honestly honestly honestly does not compare to anything, which is why it is so awesome. In a world of cloners joe came up with something that completely stands on its own two feet and pretty much destroys anything you put it up against. Search my posts on this board, Ive put up a bunch of info.

dave

wow, i never realized that the kit was that cheap. I'll be ordering one soon!

:thumb:

(edit) it's not totally clear to me, is the "dual" version actually two mono circuits on one board or does it have two amps on one mono board?

[quote author="kubi"][quote author="louder"]i would like to try joe`s own tranny`s.
[/quote]

His 1:1:1DC trafo looks kind of attractive as an L01166 replacement for BA283AV and related circuits.
Would love to hear some opinions from people who used it before.[/quote]
I use Joe's 1:4 input trafos, 2 of them in parallel, for N*eve mic input and they sound very good. This is what the red line represents on his transformer comparison graph and what Joe uses for his own N*eve clones. I've been asking him for a comparison of the gapped output trafos before I buy some, but he seems to be too busy. I'm satisfied with the Sowter 9160 for this application but will definately try Joe's in the future.

Heres my experience of the sound of the different xformers, based on recordind Ive done with them. Take it with a grain of salt as I work for Joe, but these are my honest opinions and what Id tell anyone if they asked me.

OEP is probably my favorite all round option with the 99V. Its best on vocals and guitars and still holds up very well on drums. Its got a sweet clear top end and nice 2nd harmonics down low when pushed, but never gets muddy.

JLM 1:4 is probably the best on drums and bass, as it overloads a little earlier which is something I like on drums. It also seems to add a kind of low mid thwack thats great for making snare drums solid and kick drums tight.

Lundahls are the most pure and dont seem to add much sound to the circuit, depending on how hard you load them. I havnt done much recording with them in the 99V board but they would be my choice for coincident pair recording of orchestral ensembles, or perhaps of a solo vocalist or intrumentalist that you didnt want to sonicly 'massage' too much.

So far, all of the 99V pres Ive used have had the JLM 1:1:1 output xformers wired as 1:2, and it seems to be pretty pure and not alter the sound much, if at all. I prefer it to going direct out becuase it gives an extra 6db of gain and since my favorite config of 99V is using a single opamp, the extra gain is handy.

Ive not yet tried 2 JLM 1:4s to make 1:2 or the Marinair 31267 backwards with the 99V but Im keen to.

As always, YMMV!

M

Yes what everyone else said :grin:

I will try to get to the output transformer graphs on the web site shortly

been busy getting the new MP8 finished.
MP8%20Front.jpg

Joe

www.jlmaudio.com

I have tested the JLM99V against the Forssell 992 on a servo micpre. Input transformers was JT13k7-A and JT-16-B. Very different from each other, yet both desirable and amazing in sound.

It's kinda hard to describe sound as usual, but I found the 99V to be more dry, in a good way.
Transparent if you prefer. You don't hear any frequence in excess, there's a very good tone balance. The 992 sound fatter by comparison, like if it is compressing the signal a little bit. The presence of both are different and again, interesting.

I choose the 99V to track in the drum room mic, just perfect.

btw, What a great micpre this MP8 Joe! Can you gives us more details, like, the gain structure (1 or 2 99V? Servo? Transformer balanced?). What about the gain controls, are they relay based?

many cheers to you, I'm in love with your 99V.
Fabio

Interesting opamp info Fabio, cheers.

The new MP8 has relay switched gain in 1db steps from -9 to +80, and that particular one has n-e-v-e type pres. Ill let Joe give all the details though.
:)

Sit Matt, Sit!
:oops: :green:

[quote author="Bauman"]...The 992 sound fatter by comparison, like if it is compressing the signal a little bit...[/quote]I noticed this too - not so much at lower gains, but it seems to increase as you approach an op-amp gain of 60dB. I plan to experiment by attenuating the output and recording at the higher gain settings. It'll be interesting to see how it sounds when pushed into this region.

Interested to see the circuit you are using the 99v in? Also is it sounds like this is a single 99v circuit running on +/-24v? I will say again that I don't like Servo as it interferes with the low end and thins it if the servo is fast enough to be useful. And to remove the 2v DC output of the 99v it has to have a heavy amount of dc servo.

MP8. Umm where do I start
MP8%20front.jpg

The MP8 is a 8 way mic pre system that can have any combination of our new reed relay controlled mic pre cards. This one above has 8 x 1290 cards in it. Working on Dual 99v card and TG card at the moment. The mic pre cards only need one IDC cable unplugged and 4 screws on the XLR's undone to change the cards. All cards can do 1dB steps from -9 to 80dB of gain. Also have 80Hz HPF , Phase reverse and 48v on each pre.

The front panel controller can be in its own rack case which only need to be 1" deep and control up to 64 channels up to 500 metres away by one extra mic or lan cable. The bank control has 8 memories and there is also user 1 to 30 on boot up for universities.

Also Protools can control it with midi as it will think it is a Digi Pre. Everything is steady state and even the PIC's go to sleep 1 second after any control is moved so no high frequency clocks are running. We also have our own software controller for windows computer systems.

The link buttons link the next channel but still allow the slave channels to be offset by +/-12dB. So when that drummer goes into record mode and hits harder you can just back all the levels down a dB or 2 by turning one encoder.

If the power fails the MP8 remembers exactly where you were when the power failed without the need for a memory battery.

Joe

www.jlmaudio.com

Hey Joe,

That looks v tidy indeed! :thumb:

The MP8 is a 8 way mic pre system that can have any combination of our new reed relay controlled mic pre cards

So are you using the PIC to control a multiple relay-pot board for gain/vol on each pre ye? Any tips on getting the correct taper curves in the PIC programming?

Cheers!

So are you using the PIC to control a multiple relay-pot board for gain/vol on each pre ye? Any tips on getting the correct taper curves in the PIC programming?
The MP8 only has 2 x PIC 628A in it. One for the master display section and one for the 8 slave section. They talk to each other in serial format over 2 wires of a LAN or mic cable. They can be up to 500meters apart. Also the LAN cable can be cut anywhere along it length and have our tiny Midi to LAN box inserted which is powered from the LAN cable.

The PICs are only for logic control and have nothing to do with the audio path. All audio is switched by vacuum tube reed relays. There is no real trick to doing the smaller steps with the reed relays if you think about it.

I'll now try the 99V amp as you recommend... :)

Excellent ! Let me know how you go Fabio :)

Joe

WWW.JLMAUDIO.COM

Wow, the MP8 sounds like an amzing product! 1290 pres controlled by Pro Tools - awesome. Will you be doing kits as well as finished products? Any ideas on pricing?

RD

I don't think you will see the complete MP8 as a kit

but
you have seen some variants of it
I posted some sneak previews of some very smal Mic-pre pcbs at the DIY Factory front page

they all have Joe's typical style and good work
all I can say is keep your eyes open and stay tunned

No, Kevs right, there wont be an MP8 kit, but we will soon have 1290 and TG modules availalbe either as full kits or partially build modules.
No idea of prices yet so _dont ask_ but the TG sure sounds magical, as Ive said before.

M

Latest posts

Back