Line level to mic live box with isolator, which better way?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whoops said:
Because is really not convinient in a Live gig situation, it's more practical for the local crew to receive the Mic level and XLR's already on the stage. You will have a faster setup and less hassle dealing with the local crews that somethimes are really good, other times aren't.
The number of cables is the same. The only difference is the location of the box.

Whoops said:
Because is really not convinient in a Live gig situation, it's more practical for the local crew to receive the Mic level and XLR's already on the stage. You will have a faster setup and less hassle dealing with the local crews that somethimes are really good, other times aren't.

Attachments

• like.jpg
    like.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 2
abbey road d enfer said:
I just don't get it. What difference does it make if the box is near the interface or near the stage box?

The biggest diference is that the box is not close to the FOH mixer like you first suggested.

It's better to stay on stage, and I explained in my point of view and experience why.

Then being it on stage let's see the difference of it being close to the stage box or the interface:

close to the Stage Box , disadvantages:
- Longer cable runs
- you have to put the box near the Stage Box (normally in the stage service area, or the side of the stage), it means also you will put the box close to the local PA equipment, can be easy or dificult depending on how much gear they have there. Somo companies will not like it and will prefer you don't put the box near an area (stage box) that needs to be easilly acessible for them. It can also be an area on stage where a lof of activity is going on doing setup

Closer to the Interface:
- prefered choice, as the box is still considered part of the bands backline so it is on the right spot. And when the local crew will perform the micing setup they will just plug to XLR cables from that box to their smaller sub-boxes, for them they are receiving the bands input signals in the place they are used to, no hassle for them so no hassle for you
- Also closer to the interface you will have pretty short cables from the interface to the box (or shorter cable in case you use multicore) so it's a more tidy setup and faster setup for the band also and less cable weight to travel with

It's a Win-Win situation

Whoops said:
close to the Stage Box , disadvantages:
- Longer cable runs
Going from one place to another, total cable run is bound to be the same. .

- you have to put the box near the stage
No, you put it close to the stage box(es).

Closer to the Interface:
- prefered choice, as the box is still considered part of the bands backline so it is on the right spot.
Is it a serious issue? You think there is a territorial war between the stage crew and the band?

And when the local crew will perform the micing setup they will just plug to XLR cables from that box to their smaller stage boxes, for them they are receiving the bands signals in the place they are used to,
What difference does it make if they get 8 XLR cables 10 meter long or 8 short XLR cables coming from a small box?

- Also closer to the interface you will have pretty short cables from the interface to the box (or shorter cable in case you use multicore) so it's a more tidy setup and faster setup for the band also and less cable weight to travel with
But you will have longer cables from the interface to the stage box. The overall cable length is bound to be the same.
But you you put the interface close to the stage box, you can have an 8-pair multicore, which will be lighter an dtidyer than 8 long mic cables.

I’m still not sure why he can’t just lower the level in software and have the Interface output the target level?

Gold said:
I’m still not sure why he can’t just lower the level in software and have the Interface output the target level?

You can,
but you will want to give an XLR connection and not Jack TRS

Also you will want phantom power protection in case 48V is on  by accident in the Monitor or FOH console so that the 48V DC  will not damage your RME line outputs,
a transformer , or DC blocking caps will prevent that. DI boxes prevent that also.

The RME outputs Opamps might have phantom power protection, but I really not sure, I would preffer to have external protection

abbey road d enfer said:
Going from one place to another, total cable run is bound to be the same. .

Longer cable runs for the band, TRS to XLR.  (from RME outputs to box inputs)
Shorter cables for the band are easier to setup , easier to transport.

No, you put it close to the stage box(es).
[/quote]
Is it a serious issue? You think there is a territorial war between the stage crew and the band?
[/quote]

Sometimes there is. A lot of times local crew was travelling all night long and setup early in the morning, they  had few hours of sleep, are really tired.
If you make their life easier you are making your life easier

[/quote]
What difference does it make if they get 8 XLR cables 10 meter long or 8 short XLR cables coming from a small box?
[/quote]

The diference is that they will preffer to connect in on stage using their sub boxes, instead of having input channels that are off stage on the service areas

[/quote]
But you will have longer cables from the interface to the stage box. The overall cable length is bound to be the same.
[/quote]

And thats fine, you just wasnt that your cables (bands cables) are shorter and easier to setup and take less space in the backline.

For the PA company is the same as they will bring a truck full of stuff and hardcases full of XLR cables.

I saying from the point of view of the band artist and what he has to carry for the gig

[/quote]
But you you put the interface close to the stage box, you can have an 8-pair multicore, which will be lighter an dtidyer than 8 long mic cables.
[/quote]

You don't need to carry XLR cables, those are already there.
But you have to carry the cables to connect the RME's output to the DIY Box, and those will have at least TRS on the RME outputs, even if a multicore cable is used.
PA companies tend not to have any JACK TS cables, and also are prone not to have TRS cables besides what it's needed for fixed instalation (like inside the racks)

From my short experience as FOH engineer, in this situation the best and safest solution IMO  is using passive transformer based DI boxes which should be placed close to the  interface. There are good reasons for that.

The job of  the band is to provide the rider list with the number of (microphone) channels needed and positions of each musician on the stage. The job of the stage crew is to provide all cables to each position. There should be a high level of discipline (that's not the war but problems can escalate if something goes wrong during the show) especially in a festival situations. 

Whoops said:
You can,
but you will want to give an XLR connection and not Jack TRS

TRS to XLR cables don’t seem like much of a barrier.

Also you will want phantom power protection in case 48V is on  by accident in the Monitor or FOH console so that the 48V DC  will not damage your RME line outputs,
a transformer , or DC blocking caps will prevent that. DI boxes prevent that also.

The RME outputs Opamps might have phantom power protection, but I really not sure, I would preffer to have external protection

The common line driver IC’s all have the provision to block DC. Seems worth  investigating.

moamps said:
From my short experience as FOH engineer, in this situation the best and safest solution IMO  is using passive transformer based DI boxes which should be placed close to the  interface. There are good reasons for that.

The job of  the band is to provide the rider list with the number of (microphone) channels needed and positions of each musician on the stage. The job of the stage crew is to provide all cables to each position. There should be a high level of discipline (that's not the war but problems can escalate if something goes wrong during the show) especially in a festival situations.

Yes,
you have FOH experience, you got it!

Back