This forum is way too bright white but there's a cure

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kingston

It's a recurring complaint that this site is simply too bright. Here's the cure: https://github.com/darkreader/darkreader

Browser extension  available for Chrome and Firefox. This has been life-altering extension to me because it works for all sites - not just this one - and it works and looks good for 9/10 dentists. No more assault of white anywhere. No need to configure anything, just install. In the rare case it makes a site look off you can turn it off and it will remember the setting.

The white annoyed me when the new design was introduced. I've gotten used to it by now, but I'll give the plugin a try. Now if only there was a fix for this waste of space... Catering to mobile internet devices ruined web design.

Attachments

• Unbenannt.png
    Unbenannt.png
    92.6 KB · Views: 33
A white background is not the problem. The problem is the *backlight* of flat panels. I turn my backlight waaaay down. But at some point the "white" starts to just become opaque grey. I don't know if maybe OLED panels are better but I would be very interested if someone knows of a monitor that can make a high white to brightness ratio. Meaning screens that can make a pure white and but not bright.

volker said:
The white annoyed me when the new design was introduced. I've gotten used to it by now, but I'll give the plugin a try. Now if only there was a fix for this waste of space... Catering to mobile internet devices ruined web design.

The wasted space is absolutely ridiculous, as is the non-answer to the question "why?" Why would anybody want to see LESS content without having to scroll? On any size screen? Insanity.

I'm a 25+ year software/web developer, and posted a way to greatly improve this quite a while back:
https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=64868.msg821646#msg821646

gltech said:
Sad when something changes for the worse for no apparent reason. After 25+ years in software development, over the last couple years I've asked many expert and veteran coders and designers all over the world, "Why the huge fonts? Why all the wasted space? Why the low contrast?". Not one person can answer the question.  If it has something to do with "mobile," it's backwards thinking -- the larger and more spaced apart everything is, the less you can see at once, and makes you have to scroll around a lot more, which hurts smaller screens the worst.

Very simple, adult vs child:
the-big-book-of-maker-skills-(popular-science)-9781616287269.in03.jpg

2-colors.jpg

To each their own then. The layout doesn't bother me. It resizes nicely. Monitors are massive today making full screen windows obsolete. As an example I often have the browser, some pdf/image schema and my own app notes on the screen at once. This site caters for it just fine.

How much has it deterred someones time spent in this forum ?  hard to measure , what are the attendance numbers like ?
I spend less time " living  here " and  just coming to research these days, could be many other factors though
at least it isn't white font on black background like some other forums !

Latest posts

Back