AES 2018

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

Hello folks,

who is at AES NYC this year? looks like I am going.  if anyone wants to hit up hero boy for amazing eggplant parmigiana sandwiches, let me know. It's walking distance from the javits center and quite good.

There was better eats within short walk when NYC AES was in the hotels (like Waldorf) but Javits is a better venue for the displays.

Tip a few for me... maybe some corned beef from the deli (backstage was OK back in the day, may be more of a tourist trap now). Some decent neighborhood bars around the theater district. 

JR

JohnRoberts said:
There was better eats within short walk when NYC AES was in the hotels (like Waldorf) but Javits is a better venue for the displays.

Tip a few for me... maybe some corned beef from the deli (backstage was OK back in the day, may be more of a tourist trap now). Some decent neighborhood bars around the theater district. 

JR

indeed.

It’s NYC. So much competition, so most places are HQ eats. The trick is finding the cheapest holes.  I’m close to the tunnel, but don’t see much value in AES. Years ago we had a good meetup with Keef, expat, NYD , and I think you were there too Pucho.  Unfortunately everyone seems splintered and DIY has become biz’s for some.

PS thanks for the CD Pucho

guavatone said:
It’s NYC. So much competition, so most places are HQ eats. The trick is finding the cheapest holes.  I’m close to the tunnel, but don’t see much value in AES. Years ago we had a good meetup with Keef, expat, NYD , and I think you were there too Pucho.  Unfortunately everyone seems splintered and DIY has become biz’s for some.

PS thanks for the CD Pucho

I remember that.  poor Dave the only vegetarian options left at the beer garden were fries and sour kraut.

john12ax7 said:
I miss the NY pizza
I grew up in NJ a few miles from the city and indeed liked the pizza there. I also like the pizza in Chicago, and northern Italy (I imagine but all different).

I can't get excited about pineapple and the other strange stuff they put on tomato pie in CA.

JR

Where’d you grow up John? Yes pizza in Northern NJ is pretty damn  good, as is the middle-eastern food, near Paterson. I think proximity of food quality overflows from NYC competition. But there are also just some family businesses that have been able to stick around in NJ.  Some of the best artisanal ravioli makers are here.  Probably the best Italian Sub is in Midland Park - Grosso’s La Strada where they use imported Italian meats.

JohnRoberts said:
I grew up in NJ a few miles from the city and indeed liked the pizza there. I also like the pizza in Chicago, and northern Italy (I imagine but all different).

I can't get excited about pineapple and the other strange stuff they put on tomato pie in CA.

JR

I used to think pineapple on pizza was ridiculous,  but then I tried it and it's actually pretty good.  I'm still more of a purist though,  crust,  sauce,  and cheese,  maybe a little fresh basil.

Technically pineapple is bad for you and can kill you if you do mass consumption.  It is poisonous to humans.
The skin of the pineapple plant is not considered poisonous, and while the entire fruit is considered non-toxic, the unripe flesh, thorns and leaves can have toxic effects. This is due to the enzyme bromelain, which is used as a meat tenderizer and is considered very low in toxicity. In large amounts, though, bromelain is believed to be the causal agent of symptoms of swelling or tenderness in and around the mouth. The leaves and thorns also contain sap that may be irritating to the skin.
Side Effects
Ingestion of the sap in pineapple leaves can lead to severe pain in the mouth, as well as skin irritation of the lips, tongue and mouth. If the sap gets on your skin, you may experience minor irritation or dermatitis, although this usually only lasts a few minutes. Ingestion of unripe pineapples causes throat irritation and may lead to diarrhea, vomiting and excessive menstrual bleeding. Eating large amounts of the pineapple core has also been associated with the formation of fiber balls, which are also referred to as bezoars, in the digestive tract.

Latest posts

Back