Keyboard on console solution

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Potato Cakes

Hello, everyone,

Wasn't sure where to post this topic so I put it here...

The conundrum I currently am trying find a solution for is using a keyboard in a room with a console that doesn't really have the space for a whole different stand setup to accommodate this. I have seen what has been called a scrolling tray or script in use on bigger consoles, but the ones I have found are like $275USD and I would need two a full size keyboard and mouse. It seems that some sort of DIY solution will probably wind up happening, but for me it's one more thing to add to pile of other things and I'm getting to the point that commercial solutions are being more desirable for these little things that wind up taking more time than I care to spend on them. I may just see if someone can make me something. Thoughts, anyone?

Thanks!

Paul

My friend here went to a company that does plexiglass cutting and ordered 4mm thick piece of transparent plexi for a tray he uses on his ssl4000. It's a one piece, and he had it for some very cheap price.

It's basic job for those who work with plexiglass. Just a flat piece of plexi that needs to be bent at 90 degrees at the top and bottom. It's up to you to measure it and provide dimensions and that's the only thing that can go wrong. But since it's cheap, you can afford a mistake and do another one!

:)

Luka

shot said:
Just a flat piece of plexi that needs to be bent at 90 degrees at the top and bottom.
Beware that plexi cannot be cold bent; it takes a heated jig. Better use polyacrylate, usually found under the Lexan or Makrolon moniker, that can be cold bent. It is scratchproof, unlike plexi.

Don't search for plexi dealers. They just sell the stuff and usually don't provide extra services.
Look if there's a manufacturer of promo materials for businesses, holders for pricelists in bars/restaurants and similar stuff.
They have all the tools to do whatever idea you have

I'm not a native english speaker so it's complicated for me to explain!
This type of stuff
www.aka.hr/slike/posebne-usluge/obrada-pleksiglasa/3-thumb-pleksi-stalak.jpg
https://www.slisko.com/plugins/content/jw_sigpro/jw_sigpro/includes/images/transparent.gif
http://www.prozirni-namjestaj.hr/site/assets/files/1159/stalci-razni-okomiti.jpg

I use a local metal shop to cut and bend aluminum diamond plate, the material you see as steps on fire engines. I usually do one keys and one mouse/trackball tray. They tack a 1/2” angle ali to reinforce the keyboard tray.  I measure so that there is clearance for moving faders.  I finish the bottoms with marine edge grommet to prevent scratching.
I’ll look for a pic to post.
Mike

I found a pic of separate keyboard and mouse trays.  Users found this split config very flexible.  The trays just clear the moving faders and the d-plate is rigid enough to not need a cross brace..
I used a u-shaped vinyl grommet for screen door repair on the bottom edges to protect the fascia.  the trays also sit on the knobs as well with a slight diagonal position.
Mike
Keyboard_mouse_tray.jpg

That looks pretty sweet. I think all the information here as given me some good ideas. When I get to that point I'll share the final result.

Thanks!

Paul

Good luck Paul!

If you use metal, be sure to have reliable rubber where tray touches with console. You don't want this rugged piece of metal damaging your console!

:)

Luka

Latest posts

Back