LDC capsule replacement and choices (novice question)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdier

I have a (non tube) LDC mic where it appears the capsule has gone south on me. It is a mic in the $500 range and the proper replacement capsule is $75 (to buy then install myself)

I am curious how capsules work and if I maybe there is another capsule maker I could talk with who could suggest an alternative capsule for this mic to me.

This is not a must have, go to mic for me, so I am between "Hey, maybe I could buy a nice capsule" and "Shoot, I should just sell it as non working, for parts on eBay."

I have good soldering skills and have built 16 preamps and compressor, so I am not a complete novice, but this would be my first time opening up a mic.

Thanks in advance to anyone willing/able to share their thoughts/expertise in this area.

Recommending a capsule will depend on the type of mic, patterns and circuit and in your post you didn't write any information on the mic and circuit itself

Whoops said:
Recommending a capsule will depend on the type of mic, patterns and circuit and in your post you didn't write any information on the mic and circuit itself

The mic is a Studio Projects cs5.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Jim

How do you know the capsule is bad?
Dont know that mic, but looks like you could test some K47 in there. ( if that typical bright K67 mic.)

I would measure polarisation voltage first. If capsule cut off the signal then it's dirty. It's pretty common for 797Audio K67 type, especially running with too high polarisation voltage. Really good upgrade would be Maiku K47. Much more proper for "flat" circuit from Studio Projects. To get full potential from the capsule there could be done mods of the circuit but even without it you will get much better response than from original capsule. Original capsule is pretty good for deemphasis circuits like U87 etc.

kooma said:
How do you know the capsule is bad?
Dont know that mic, but looks like you could test some K47 in there. ( if that typical bright K67 mic.)

It has a low frequency rumble/flutter.  Samples analyzed by mfg lead to conclusion that capsule is likely bad.

They have a great repair offer and always liked the mic fine, but I have since added mics that replace it in most applications.  I am wondering, with my limited experience, if there is a capsule upgrade that I could handle myself that would turn the mic into something I reach for more often.

jdier said:
It has a low frequency rumble/flutter.  Samples analyzed by mfg lead to conclusion that capsule is likely bad.

They have a great repair offer and always liked the mic fine, but I have since added mics that replace it in most applications.  I am wondering, with my limited experience, if there is a capsule upgrade that I could handle myself that would turn the mic into something I reach for more often.

is it static low frequence rumble? does the mic work otherwise(can you hear your sound thru the rumble)? is the capsule mechanically looking ok?

that could be bad connection or dirt/moisture..

kooma said:
is it static low frequence rumble? does the mic work otherwise(can you hear your sound thru the rumble)? is the capsule mechanically looking ok?

that could be bad connection or dirt/moisture..

First of all, a sincere thanks for taking time to reply to a mic/electronics novice.

I can hear myself and there is not static.  It sounds quite like there is wind blowing through my room.   

An odd note, when the preamp is powered on and I send +48 to it, the mic will not have the sound.  It takes about 10-15 seconds for the noise to kick in.

Regarding the questions about how it looks, I have not opened it up yet, as I did not think I knew enough to figure out what was wrong.

Try to use it on vocal without pop-filter and with close distance. If the wind noise is more audible or it cut-off the signal,  then it's dirty capsule.

Latest posts

Back