'Orange' channel-strip ready (pics!)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

omeiko

I finally finished my ambitious 'channel-strip' project. It's been a LOT of work but I think now it's the time to close the lid permanently.
The box includes a switchable je-990/25,20-preamp, a modified 'what' compressor, a gyraf pultec eq and a api ouput stage. Almost all switching is done with relays.

I tuned the compressor- and output sections a long time but I'm clad I did cause now the sound is just right.

I don't recommend the switchable op-amp idea cause it's very hard to get it stable. Even now it starts oscillating sometimes when the amp is switched.

edest%E4.jpg

normal_sivusta.jpg

normal_ylhaalta.jpg

normal_IMGP0592.JPG

Yeah,

It's time to spend some DIY-free time. :guinness: :sam:

cheers,

Okko

:thumb:
Cool, of course, but you knew the question was gonna come...
How did you do the front panel graphics?

cheers,
kent

:thumb: nice one!

It's time to spend some DIY-free time.

so...you don´t know what to do next? have some PCBs I can send you for stuffing :green: :green:

steff :grin:

Very nice front panel. :grin:

I love crazy colours used for front panels. :thumb:

chrissugar

God that is HOTTTT! :shock:

:guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness:

I was thinking of building a LA-2A w/ a mic pre gain mod + Pultec combo, but never got around to it.

Thanks for your compliments.

kent wrote:
Cool, of course, but you knew the question was gonna come...
How did you do the front panel graphics?

It's printed on a inkjet transparency mirrored and then painted and glued with epoxy. I left some overlap that is turned around the corners so it wont rip of right away. Looks pretty cool but leaves a shiny and little warbly surface. I was going to spray it with a non-shiny laquer. I think it would even out the appearance. Maybe someday...

Kubi wrote:
Important question: How is the je990 compared to the 2520? Soundwise.
Did you build your own JE990 based on the documents flowting around?

The JE990 is based on this: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/dulan/JE990.pdf
by dale116dot7.
I left out the inductors and the input pair is just two bc550's so it's less than optimal. Sounds good though. This is a ideal design to test different op-amps since you can change them with a turn of a switch. At first the difference appeared to be suprisingly subtle but after a while I started to notice the personalities of these op-amps.
The 990 is little cleaner but has a nice precence. Its not as smooth as the forssell j-fet990 but very nice. The je990 has a cleaner low than the api and it's littel more detailed. Anyway the difference is small (nothing like api vs. neve) and I would be happy with either of them.

SonsOfThunder wrote:
But free time IS for DIY!!!

:thumb: I kind of agree but I'm starting to forget how music sounds. It's a tough choice. :wink:

cheers,

Okko

Latest posts

Back