New to this forum.....looking for Mastering EQ ideas

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OTRM

Hey, guys -
First time poster here. I'm a total newb to DIY audio projects. I'm good with a soldering iron and have good ears but know ZERO about electronics.

Thinking of trying my hand at building a Mastering grade EQ (probably passive) so I'm looking for a kit and/or for someone's help with getting started. I've searched here for Sontec 432 info but can't seem to find an actual project outline.

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could please at least point me in the right direction...

Many thanks
OTRM

A Sontec type EQ is an active EQ. The topology is generically called a T filter. A passive EQ is something like a Pultec. There are many Pultec type EQ kits around.

volker said:
This one might be an appropriate first project and should do well in a mastering environment with all switched controls.
Thanks, Volker. I'll look into it. You have any experience with this EQ?
BTW, remember you from the old Samp forum. You doing well...?

Gold said:
A Sontec type EQ is an active EQ. The topology is generically called a T filter. A passive EQ is something like a Pultec. There are many Pultec type EQ kits around.
Thanks, Paul. I noticed you replied a time or 2 to one of the EQ builds. Do you have any experience with any of them or have any input about the sonic qualities of any of them? Which one(s) are good in a mastering chain? Any input is appreciated...
Thnx
JL
OTRM

I’d suggest picking something and building it.  Any EQ will do if you like it. If you don’t know what you want I can’t tell you.

The Studer 169 is a good EQ but it doesn’t have a million frequency points and variable bandwidth like a full featured mastering EQ. Building a full featured EQ with switches is much more complicated and probably not a good first build.

I’d treat your first project as a throwaway learning experience. I wouldn’t expect to nail something complicated the first time. Building stuff is a long term commitment if you want to do it right.

Gold said:
I’d treat your first project as a throwaway learning experience.
Ha, yeah.....but that's what I'm trying to avoid if possible. First one doesn't have to be the Holy Grail but I'd sure like it to still be useful down the road....

Thanks

OTRM said:
Ha, yeah.....but that's what I'm trying to avoid if possible. First one doesn't have to be the Holy Grail but I'd sure like it to still be useful down the road....

Thanks

Then start with a complete kit where all you have to do is stuff the PCB and use the provided metalwork.  Like a 500 series project.

OTRM said:
Hey, guys -
First time poster here. I'm a total newb to DIY audio projects. I'm good with a soldering iron and have good ears but know ZERO about electronics.

Thinking of trying my hand at building a Mastering grade EQ

A Mastering grade EQ is not a first project for someone that knows zero about electronics

OTRM said:
(probably passive)

You have understand first what a "Passive EQ" means, and what it entails.
You will always need some active stage of some sort to amplify the signal after the EQ

OTRM said:
I would greatly appreciate it if someone could please at least point me in the right direction...

If you really want your first project to be an EQ than can be usefull in mastering I recommend you the Neuman W492 project.
It's a really nice sounding EQ and easy to build. I would not recommend anything more complex than that.

you can find the project page here:

https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=28332.0

you can also buy parts in black market, here you have a partial kit:

https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=68953.msg877992#msg877992

Latest posts

Back