Wireless remote control

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

Anyone know of a good place to look for doing wireless remotes.  Mainly need remote wireless push to engage the talkback but not a brainstorm box. Looking for theory and study materials.

I've just been asked to hook up a remote 'recording' light. Has to be wireless because they forgot to install wiring for it when building the studio. Thought about all kinds of complex RF things which were complete overkill for an ON/OFF signal then ordered a cheap 433mhz 'garage door opener' style unit off ebay that simply switches a mains power relay. Has latching and momentary modes, thinking if I hook the button across the relay outputs on the Sync I/O that indicate recording mode and have it in momentary mode it should work beautifully. I imagine something similar would work for a talkback system, just with a signal relay instead of the power relay.

The problem with IR remotes AFAIK is they only talk to uC-based receivers, so for a simple on/off control one ends up with a system that needs interfacing and programming skills.
On the contrary, wireless remotes exist with a selection of receivers that deliver either a dry relay contact or a voltage.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MQWNWTI/ref=psdc_379521011_t2_B00D2HI32U

throw an arduino on both ends of the IR link and copy/paste an example peice of code.

Seriously - why anyone does any controller DIY with anything else these days is beyond me.
(other than things like power consumption, to be fair)

/R

In fact, if you use this library (https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/ir-communication/all) you can use any remote control that you'd have in your home. That might be nice to give a customer.

you could also use:
PT2262-IR for the TX and PT2272-L4 for the RX.

Use them with IR devices, not the RF ones.

I still think it'd be easier and a damn sight sexier to use an existing remote control for the TX and an arduino for the RX.

Damn, I could invent this and sell it on Expat Audio...

/R

Rochey said:
you could also use:
PT2262-IR for the TX and PT2272-L4 for the RX.

Use them with IR devices, not the RF ones.

I still think it'd be easier and a damn sight sexier to use an existing remote control for the TX and an arduino for the RX.

Damn, I could invent this and sell it on Expat Audio...

/R
Yes not rocket science, but software is still a foreign language for most.

What is a little weird is how cheap the computing power is these days... That used to be the expensive (hard) part.

JR

Obviously google search will return gazillions of materials, but to be specific look for IRDA development kits. Good way to learn.

If it is only a single channel you are looking for, then you can pick up kits for a couple of bucks on e-bay.

Latest posts

Back