Monitor output mute - short XLR pin 2 & 3 VS short to ground

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elskardio

Hi Guys,

I'm working on a monitor controller. I was wondering what's the best approach to mute individual outputs?

Short the XLR pin 2 to pin 3?

Or short both pin 2 and pin 3 to ground?

I'm asking because I saw both configuration used on various schematics.

Thanks

But there's probably a better way to do it but, just thinking-out-loud, I would use a 2 pole switch to disconnect 2 and 3 and then short them together through a 50 ohm resistor. And I would put 1M across the the switch to help with DC popping. So in the mute position 2 and 3 are shorted through a 50 ohm resistor. Yeah, it will not be completely muted with the 1Ms but attenuation should be better than -90dB I think.

I can't see the point of 50R on an output, it would probably cause more problems than it would cure. If the drive is sufficient  you would still have a signal across it but using the spco DPCO shorting the input side should do it.

Attachments

• Clipboard01.png
    Clipboard01.png
    7.5 KB · Views: 18
Martin Griffith said:
I can't see the point of 50R on an output, it would probably cause more problems than it would cure.
I was just thinking it might not be a good idea to completely short pins 2 and 3 together just in case it's in a patchbay and someone accidentally patches an output into it.

Latest posts

Back