Cheap Nice and Funky Amek 2500 preamps

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice!!

We will need to know board dimensions in order to be sure to print it out to correct scale (more than 5% err makes it difficult to mount DIL ic's)

For sound examples I think we got the 2500 in 1982, for Karl Pitterson's recording of Steel Pulse's  "True Democracy" album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1L3tdNKnuY

Jakob E.
ed:link

The file on the website is at the true dimensions (106,93 x 57,4mm  /  300px/inch).
The drawing is quite basic, you can add a bit of blank space at the back or on the sides to add mounting holes. I think I added two mounting holes at the back, so the boards hold between them and the pots.

There are two current sources Q11/Q12 that set DC operating points for the transistor arrays - and I think you'd prefer to keep their two DC points different.

But that's theorizing: Try it, and report back?

Jakob E.

I worked on a preamp of the same topology , and I tried almost everything on my breadboard, unfortunately I didn't noted it all on a paper but I'm almost sure I tried the amek with or without gain cap and that it sounded the same...

saint gillis said:
  Hello, I made a quad Amek 2500 mic preamps rack, so here is the layout if some of you want to etch some single side PCBs :
http://sub-continental.com/diy_eng.html#amek

Hi Saint Gillis.

I've finished it finally. Thank you for sharing the documents.
I found the 1M resistors are not in the BOM but in the layout, and I used SSM2142 that you suggested to me for replacing the THAT1646, It's hard to find THAT ICS here  ;D

I have some questions,
I forgot that the preamp needs +/-16V, but I have spare PeterC PSU that supplies +/-15V, can I use it? or maybe do some modification on it?
What current does the amps need? I have 5A trafo, is it enough for 4 channels?

Thank you  :)

Attachments

• f2500a.jpeg
    f2500a.jpeg
    163.6 KB · Views: 134
ipindalieson said:
I have some questions,
I forgot that the preamp needs +/-16V, but I have spare PeterC PSU that supplies +/-15V, can I use it? or maybe do some modification on it?
What current does the amps need? I have 5A trafo, is it enough for 4 channels?

Your +/-15v will do just fine.  I don't know the current draw of this circuit but I would bet the PSU can do +/-1A with good heatsinks.  Should be fine for four channels.

Hi Guys,

I tested the preamps today, and no sound, just humming from both channels.

Here is my ICs voltage chart (both channels are nearly the same)

Without NE55322:
1. 14.5
2. 14.7
3. 14.7
4. -14.9
5. 14.4
6. 0
7. 0
8. 15.0

Without TL072
1. 14.8
2. 10.0 (dropping till 7.4)
3. 10.0 (dropping till 7.4)
4. -14.9
5. 7.4
6. 7.4
7. 14.8
8. 15.0

Without SSM2142
1. 0
2. 0
3. 0
4. 0
5. -15.0
6. 15.0
7. 0
8. 0

I checked all the soldering and it's all fine, nothing short.
Does anybody know what happened here? Is it bad ICs? Or Transistors? Or Caps? Because its happened on both channels
Thank you

Ipin 

Latest posts

Back