Roland RE 301: Disengage tape transport when on

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpaxton

Hey There!

I was wondering if anybody could help. I would like to be able to turn off the ape transport on a Roland re 301 chorus echo, while it is on so I can just use the reverb and chorus functions. The remote jack input, kills the echo by removing the signal from the path, but does not disengage the transport (like the way a Roland 201 does. I have a copy of the service manual which can be found here http://www.interruptor.ch/Roland_RE-301_service_manual.pdf and on it, it says that q108 is used to control the power of the motor.
Would this be the best place to implement a switch? I don't have experience with motors and soleniods, so hopefully I can get some info here.

any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Conor

Don't mess with the motor. You want to disengage the solenoid that clamps the pinch roller onto the capstan. That's what the RE101/201 does. Looks like pin 6 of the PS on page 11 which delivers power whenever power is on. You could add a switch in there but beware!

Warning: Switching out the solenoid will cause inductor "kickback" and thus arching inside the toggle and probably fry it after a while. You must put a reverse bias rectifier diode (like 1N4003 or similar) in parallel with the solenoid coil (see also RE101-201 docs for example). So check which end of the coil is getting positive supply and then add the diode with the cathode connected to supply (reverse biased).

Then you can insert the switch between PS pin 6 and V+ of the coil. Or commandeer the footswitch or one of the mic inputs (how many mic inputs do you need on a space echo?) so that the usual footpedal or inserting 1/4" / RCA adapter can be used to disengage the solenoid.

squarewave said:
Don't mess with the motor. You want to disengage the solenoid that clamps the pinch roller onto the capstan. That's what the RE101/201 does. Looks like pin 6 of the PS on page 11 which delivers power whenever power is on. You could add a switch in there but beware!

Warning: Switching out the solenoid will cause inductor "kickback" and thus arching inside the toggle and probably fry it after a while. You must put a reverse bias rectifier diode (like 1N4003 or similar) in parallel with the solenoid coil (see also RE101-201 docs for example). So check which end of the coil is getting positive supply and then add the diode with the cathode connected to supply (reverse biased).

Then you can insert the switch between PS pin 6 and V+ of the coil. Or commandeer the footswitch or one of the mic inputs (how many mic inputs do you need on a space echo?) so that the usual footpedal or inserting 1/4" / RCA adapter can be used to disengage the solenoid.

Hey SquareWave, thanks so much for this, I really appreciate it! I'm gonna repurpose the remote foot switch for this endever. Will report back when I do!
Thanks again,

Conor

Latest posts

Back