help me decide next project! jlm99v vs 1272

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonkan

Hello everybody!

Im trying to decide what will be my next project. I have almost finished two channels of api312 using baumans pcbs+melcor opamps. I just have to rack them first, then im off to a new project. My first attempt at DIY btw, very fun experince.

So, please help me decide which project will be next!

I've decided that i need more good preamps, but i cant decide which (Im also building some greenpres, so no need suggesting those...Dammit, I got the diy fever bad :wink: )

I narrowed it down to two contestants at the moment.

Either i build an 1272 clone using Fabio Baumans Pcb. He has some spare ones that I can buy, but I think I have to decide pretty soon if I want them.

Or, I build an JLM99v kit.

I cant afford both, and if i decide to go with the jlm kit i think i will have to skip the output transformer until i can afford one. I dont have any balanced ins atm, so no loss there.
How will that affect the sound of the unit?
I think ill go with the OEP input transformer if i go for the JLM to save some money.
(Speaking of money btw. Would there be any point moneywise in ordering just the pcbs and opamps from Joe, and then getting the rest of the parts locally. Or will it be about as equally expensive?)

What would you think would mostly complement my setup of preamps?JLM or Neve? I record mostly indierock btw.

/Jonas

Hi Jonkan

I'm just about done my pair bauman n1272 boards with sowters.
They sound pretty fabulous. The DI which is a fet/transistor
into the transformer is my favourite for guitars and bass.

On the other hand, I also have a JLM waiting to build.

So, of course the answer is - get them both! :green:

Wait till you hear the IME GT mic pre weve been playing with. Now I realise why theres such a legend surrounding the design. Since Ive been recording with it I like it more than Neve on guitars - its more solid and fat sounding without being cloudy...amazing low end. I cant wait to try it on drums. Its weird, more soundy than Neve but in a way that seems to compliment most situations.
Were not sure if it will be available as a full kit or a prebuilt module yet, and theres no prices yet so _please dont email joe asking about this_ but it shouldnt be too long.

M

Jonas,

I think you will be very happy either way with 1272 or 99V.
They sound very different, maybe you have a clue what kinda sound do you prefer?!?

As Matt said, I also think they are very complementary sounding...

cheers!
Fabio

Well, I like rock...so i guess I can't go too wrong with the neve. :cool:
I talked to tekay, and he can sell me some output transformers, and some motorola transistors for the 1272. On the input side im thinking of going with Oep.

But on the other side... Im very curious how the JLM sounds, and now mattmoogus got me interested in the new jlm pre too.. Damit, I whish I had more money (time however...I have plenty). I have to sell my guitaramp to afford the next project.

Can you hold the neve pcbs for me a bit longer fabio? Just until I decide (which I hope will be soon :green:

btw, I found an western union agent near me , so there will be no problems wiring the money to you if i go for it.)

/Jonas

It's like a restaurant. There are two ways a cook handles orders. The less talented ones do what is called block cooking. That is, they wait for two or three orders to come in before they start, then they throw down everything at once. The food all comes off the grill at the same time which pisses off the waitrons (being PC here! :razz: ), and also the customers, since the guy who ordered first has to wait for the third guy in line to get his order in. This has probably happened to some of you in the low budget coffee houses.

The better cooks use what is called rotation cooking. Thats where you start an order as soon as you get it, then start the next one when it comes in, so you have orders in various states of completion at all times. This provides a smooth flow for the waitrons, and also makes the first guy in line wait less for his food. The problem is, it takes actual brain cells to cook rotation style, something many people who prepare food lack in abudance.

I do my DIY projects in rotation, so I always have a steady stream of projects getting racked.

(except this darn Fairchild, of course :? )

Latest posts

Back