Behringer 1602 transformer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lesparapluies

Hello, my Behringer 1602 just packed in for the 2nd time this year - it is technically still under warranty but it was away for 6 weeks last time and.... life's too short....anyway, I'm pretty sure the transformer is faulty - I'm guessing that the DC rails should be +15v and -15V, can anyone verify that? Secondary of the transformer (two yellow cables and a brown) - I'm assuming should be abut 12-0-12? I'm getting about 13v from one yellow to brown, and abut 0.2v from the other yellow to brown, which suggests a failed winding....can't locate any schematic for the mixer but I think I may take a chance and replace the transformer with a generic 12-0-12 one, or even just bypass the internal PSU altogether and replace it with a -15V - +15V external PSU - any thoughts? Or anyone got a link to a schematic? Many thanks, MD

Plan Scott posts shows +/-17V. Regulated, so you need more raw DC.

It also feeds a doubler which ends up at a regulated 48V, so you want to account for that.

Working the voltages, I believe this is a 18V-0-18VAC (36VAC CT)  transformer.

How much current??? Rather than strain my brain, I would start from the assumption that B'ringer's design was not way-wrong. Which says get a 36VCT lump of the same size. BUT yours has died *twice*. Examine your world and see if abuse is happening. Power-spikes, insulation heaped on hot boxes, etc. However we know that B'ringer gear is as "low cost" as possible, and they may have designed a bit shy of the mark. So get a *bigger* lump than the one they put in there.

Attachments

• lesparapluies-1.gif
    lesparapluies-1.gif
    21.2 KB · Views: 31
I'd follow the advice and get an upgrade, especially if you are in a 110/120 V area.

Behringer's transformers usually have an asymmetrical primary with a 110V and a 120V winding. These get hot if used on 110V with a 120V mains. The internal thermal fuse blows and it usually is not of the resetting type.

Back