Drip Opto 6 LA2A - Low voltages across the board

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
furn1979 said:
Yay!
So the half-wave rectification was normal all along?

It's full wave rectifier. Please check the frequency of the residual ripple with the scope or write here the time divisions setting.
It's 100 or 120Hz for sure depending of your location.

moamps said:
It's full wave rectifier. Please check the frequency of the residual ripple with the scope or write here the time divisions setting.

Where on the circuit should I get residual ripple? At the fourth filter cap?

moamps said:

Time is 2ms/DIV, so I'm measuring a full ripple cycle at 8.2 ms (120 Hz, I'm in Canada).

Where do I go from here? I'm getting the DC I want out of the filter caps BUT, my power supply isn't doing what it's supposed to do.
The original problem is fixed, although there's still something going wrong.

You have a "bad" rectifier. Check the joints. Replace the tube. Replace the diodes. In that order.

furn1979 said:
Where do I go from here? I'm getting the DC I want out of the filter caps BUT, my power supply isn't doing what it's supposed to do.
The original problem is fixed, although there's still something going wrong.

Your power supply works as it should. It's perfectly normal that there is a small ripple at capacitors in the row in an unregulated power supply.  And you can't avoid it. Just move on, and remember what you learned about using a scope.

moamps said:
Your power supply works as it should. It's perfectly normal that there is a small ripple at capacitors in the row in an unregulated power supply.  And you can't avoid it. Just move on, and remember what you learned about using a scope.

Alright. That’s great! You’ve been really helpful and patient moamps... thank you!

But just out of curiosity, why can’t I measure full-wave rectification on the scope?

furn1979 said:
But just out of curiosity, why can’t I measure full-wave rectification on the scope?

Of course, you can measure full wave rectification  with a scope. You already did it. :)
But, if your question is why you don't see it on your scope, that's because  you already have the smoothing capacitors connected.

Here is a very nice explanation about  rectifiers.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hframe.html

(direct link doesn't work    go:  electricity and magnetism- dc circuits-power supplies-center tap rectifier)

moamps said:
Of course, you can measure full wave rectification  with a scope. You already did it. :)
But, if your question is why you don't see it on your scope, that's because  you already have the smoothing capacitors connected.

Here is a very nice explanation about  rectifiers.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hframe.html

(direct link doesn't work    go:  electricity and magnetism- dc circuits-power supplies-center tap rectifier)

Actually, my question is: Why am I not seeing this? (see picture attached)

Attachments

• IMG_5334full.jpg
    IMG_5334full.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 6
furn1979 said:
Actually, my question is: Why am I not seeing this? (see picture attached)

The original reading shows full wave rectifier with partially smoothing capacitor connected thru resistor 2k2W which you shorted in last version. The red waveforms would be 240Hz ripple which can not appear.
If you like to see the full wave rectifier alone, you should omit 2k2w resistor and bridge on it near the rectifier diodes, and then measure the voltage on connection of two diodes (anodes) using your scope.

moamps said:
The original reading shows full wave rectifier with partially smoothing capacitor connected thru resistor 2k2W which you shorted in last version. The red waveforms would be 240Hz ripple which can not appear.
If you like to see the full wave rectifier alone, you should omit 2k2w resistor and bridge on it near the rectifier diodes, and then measure the voltage on connection of two diodes (anodes) using your scope.

Gotcha! Thank you again!

Latest posts

Back