Tectronix scope pwr transformer ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fazer

This came from 535 scope and has numerous taps.  Taps 7&14 says 130v RMS but next to it says 350 WKV.  What is the 350 rating mean?

Working Volts?

Attachments

• IMG_4700.jpg
    IMG_4700.jpg
    573.3 KB · Views: 19
It is the insulation between this winding and the case.

Some windings say "0V", one says 1,350V.

The 1,350 rating is for a heater working FAR away from chassis; in context probably the CRT heater. The "0V" windings are surely good for >100V off chassis but in the original app probably worked AT chassis potential and just were not specified for any more than needed.

Old tube scope mains transformers are great for re-use , the multiple 6.3 volt windings are perfect for making elevated heater supplies .

These TEk 500 series scope tfmr's are indeed very useful transformers for prototyping valve amp's or making HV PSU's. Pete Millett used one in a HV PSU and lists all the pin outs etc here - http://www.pmillett.com/Tek_xfmrs.htm

With several of the HV windings connected in series you can various HT/B+ voltages and the heater winding's are hefty enough to power big OP stages. Careful though, when powering heaters remote from the tfmr, you need to use heavy gauge cable as even a pretty short cable run results in a voltage drop. Nothing too significant, but worth watching.

Andy.

Thanks gents.  I figured I’d keep it for prototyping power supply’s on my workbench.  Series connect some leads to get a ballpark voltage.  Maybe a tube mixer someday.

Back