Banana Republicans

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hodad

Sarah Sanders tweets out a doctored video to justify banning Jim Acosta from press briefings.  At the least, she should apologize, and Acosta should be reinstated.  In a better world, she would resign. 

That's if Republicans actually had consciences anymore. 

But when your party leader is a wannabe dictator who declares the press an "enemy of the people,"  she probably gets a pat on the back (or on the snatch, this being Trump.  But she may not be pretty enough for him to assault sexually--who knows?) and possibly a raise. 

hodad said:
Sarah Sanders tweets out a doctored video to justify banning Jim Acosta from press briefings.  At the least, she should apologize, and Acosta should be reinstated.  In a better world, she would resign. 
Maybe in your better world... unfortunately I saw the press briefing and Acosta was way out of order, refusing to give up the microphone to the young female sound technician.  Maybe he feels empowered to act that way. I don't know how it could be made to look any worse that what I watched shortly after it happened. I was a little worried for the young woman, but she kept her cool.

[edit ]  I'll bet a mute button on the podium that could cut off the reporter's mic would effectively squash such misbehavior  [/edit]
That's if Republicans actually had consciences anymore. 
?  Are we to ASSume the GA elections did not go your way..?

I didn't expect you to vote for Kemp. I actually lived in GA twice but have no special insights.
But when your party leader is a wannabe dictator who declares the press an "enemy of the people,"
That would be "fake news", that is an actual enemy of news accuracy, and you know that.  President Trump is a counter puncher (even when he shouldn't punch down) so CNN gets more than their share of his attention.  There is a  codependent  relationship as this surely helps their viewership (or not).
she probably gets a pat on the back (or on the snatch, this being Trump.  But she may not be pretty enough for him to assault sexually--who knows?) and possibly a raise.
Now that is just really in bad taste even for your team. Do you eat with that same mouth?

Perhaps you can get some mood levelers or medication to assuage your agitation.

[edit- does anyone wonder why we don't have female forum members here?  :eek:  [/edit]

JR

PS: I thought this election would make democrats happier but they didn't get the blue wave election they predicted. As one talking head on TV noted, it was more like a "purple rain".  :eek: 

Actually it was a wave:

https://politicalwire.com/2018/11/06/yes-its-a-blue-wave/

Now the question is why it did not translate into a more lopsided electoral picture, and I think we all know the answer (gerrymandering in the house and bias in favour of densely populated areas).

And this does not even take into account all the shenanigans Republicans pulled to keep the other sides voters from executing their constitutional rights.

Add to this the fact that the president and the GOP now have basically their own TV station (can you imagine the fit the right would have thrown if Rachel Maddow or Chris Mathews had pulled a stunt like Hannity did this week?) and the economic situation (late stage of the Obama recovery) is ideal for Republicans this outcome is a big victory for the blue team.

Still, one cannot be happy about the high profile (and several very close) defeats of Democratic candidates that also happened. I and many others were obviously hoping for more.

Oh, and one more thing: Money in politics. I think I read 5.6 billion dollars were wasted during this campaign. The rich can influence elections at will. This has to stop.

JohnRoberts said:
unfortunately I saw the press briefing and Acosta was way out of order, refusing to give up the microphone to the young female sound technician.
You probably saw the modified, doctored video that Sanders Tweeted. The WSJ has a story up about these lies coming out of the white house. There was no assault. Trump was asked about the caravan and the fear mongering and political manipulations of the military he engaged in (Operation Faithful Patriot). Trump got belligerent and started hurling insults at reporters. Not surprisingly, Trump was behaving inappropriately and beneath the dignity of the office.
The full video just shows the reported asking a question and not letting go of the microphone when a white house staff member forcefully tried to take it.
If you're just trying to argue in bad faith by spreading the white houses lies, I could care less though. Team politics.

Are we to ASSume the GA elections did not go your way..?
The GA elections were a travesty. Everybody in the country should be disgusted by it. The Republican candidate did every dirty trick possible to suppress and steal votes.
Hopefully the Justice Dept can investigate and clean things up in the future.
In other areas of the country, Republicans elected white supremacists and criminals. What a time to be alive.

PS: I thought this election would make democrats happier but they didn't get the blue wave election they predicted. As one talking head on TV noted, it was more like a "purple rain".  :eek:
Lots of spin on this from Republicans and their crony news networks (i.e. Fox). It was only by chance that the Senate seats that were up for election heavily favored Republicans. But the actual voter turnout was nearly +10% Democratic, which is amazing. This is a bigger 'wave' than most in recent history.  It was a bigger wave by percent than 2010. It is only because of the house and senate geographical layouts that it wasn't a complete flip of both houses. I'm sure everyone has read that Democratic Senate candidates received 10 million MORE votes than Republicans, yet Republicans still went +3 seats.
The demographic that Republicans kept was old and poorly educated. They lost the educated suburban vote.  The clock is ticking for Republicans.

JohnRoberts said:
Now that is just really in bad taste even for your team. Do you eat with that same mouth?

Perhaps you can get some mood levelers or medication to assuage your agitation.
I have to come to Hodad's defense here, Trump has said far worse than this - Hodad is making a comment that just reflects the standard dialog we get from this Republican President.  If you don't like it, well, neither do I. But I didn't vote for Trump.

dmp said:
I'm sure everyone has read that Democratic Senate candidates received 10 million MORE votes than Republicans, yet Republicans still went +3 seats.

In fairness you have to add here that in California there were two Democrats on the ballot (for a single seat). So realistically, with a state this populous, it would probably have been a few million less votes for the Democrat if a Republican had been on the ballot.

living sounds said:
In fairness you have to add here that in California there were two Democrats on the ballot (for a single seat). So realistically, with a state this populous, it would probably have been a few million less votes for the Democrat if a Republican had been on the ballot.

Yes, good reminder. Liberals should fact check themselves constantly while Republicans constantly lie.    ;D

dmp said:
Yes, good reminder. Liberals should fact check themselves constantly while Republicans constantly lie.    ;D

When they go low, we go high.  8)

Speaking of Banana Republicans, here's what Kellyanne Conway's husband has to say about Trump's DOJ appointment:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/08/opinion/trump-attorney-general-sessions-unconstitutional.html

living sounds said:
When they go low, we go high.  8)
Eric Holder said:
“No, no,” Holder says. “When they go low, we kick 'em. That’s what this new Democratic Party is about."

Speaking of Banana Republicans, here's what Kellyanne Conway's husband has to say about Trump's DOJ appointment:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/08/opinion/trump-attorney-general-sessions-unconstitutional.html
and the beat goes on...

JR

My favorite from last week was Trump saying in at a rally that "The Democratic plan would obliterate Obamacare. "

living sounds said:
I'm sorry if the republicans wouldn't let you vote.  :eek: Maybe try a mail in ballot.  ;D

Speaking of CA with their jungle primary, my brother, who not surprisingly thinks a lot like me (must be genetic) admitted to me that he voted for Sen Feinstein... :-[  He said she was the lesser evil,  moderate one, compared to the left wing loony running against her for that senate seat.

Speaking of Gerymandering, another old American tradition, that got its name over two centuries ago after a Gov Gerry. There are numerous lawsuits about this and a conservative SCOTUS is expected to uphold the status quo (state legislatures draw the district lines).

One wild card about all this is President Trumps proposal to add a citizenship question to the next census. Many people have their knickers all up in a wad about this. It seems like another reason to distrust the accuracy of the next census. Hard to imagine they can't do this by just reading a telephone book (do they still print those?).

The new political divide seems to be between city mice and country mice... Unclear that either one deserves a political power advantage, but there are likely to be more city mice in our future so simple democracy favors the city mice.

JR

JohnRoberts said:
That would be "fake news", that is an actual enemy of news accuracy, and you know that.
I'm confused, this was easily Google-able:

[quote author=realDonaldTrump]
There is great anger in our Country caused in part by inaccurate, and even fraudulent, reporting of the news. The Fake News Media, the true Enemy of the People, must stop the open & obvious hostility & report the news accurately & fairly.
[/quote]

JohnRoberts said:
unfortunately I saw the press briefing and Acosta was way out of order, refusing to give up the microphone to the young female sound technician. 

Here is the full video starting at the Reporters question:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-67ZrVAX58A&feature=youtu.be&t=1720

Is this what you say to draw your conclusion from? or the edited video posted by Trump's White House?
In what way was Acosta out of order?
Wasn't Trump out of order for his personal attacks of the reporters in the room, after interrupting them, simply because he didn't like the questions?
It's almost funny how polite the reporter is while Trump is insulting him and just becoming unhinged. 

I remember when Republican's would say that they didn't like Bill Clinton because he was dishonest. Why do Republican's tolerate (and support) a President Trump that lies nearly everyday? In ways that are severely damaging the country?

I see the fundamental difference between those who believe in fairness for everybody and those who believe in fairness for themselves / their tribe.  The people in the sparsely populated areas have less opportunity to meet "the other". If they were to get to know them better, many wouldn't arrive at extremes as is currently the case. Technology isn't helping, as we have discussed before.

dmp said:
. Why do Republican's tolerate (and support) a President Trump that lies nearly everyday? In ways that are severely damaging the country?

Because conservatives tend to prioritize ingroup and authority while liberals prioritize harm reduction and fairness.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_foundations_theory

The ultimate reasons are probably evolutionary.

dmp said:
Here is the full video starting at the Reporters question:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-67ZrVAX58A&feature=youtu.be&t=1720

Is this what you say to draw your conclusion from? or the edited video posted by Trump's White House?
In what way was Acosta out of order?
Wasn't Trump out of order for his personal attacks of the reporters in the room, after interrupting them, simply because he didn't like the questions?
It's almost funny how polite the reporter is while Trump is insulting him and just becoming unhinged. 

I remember when Republican's would say that they didn't like Bill Clinton because he was dishonest. Why do Republican's tolerate (and support) a President Trump that lies nearly everyday? In ways that are severely damaging the country?
That video didn't start at the beginning of his argumentative taunt but at his followup after his original non question was responded to and dismissed.

Look like perhaps battery against that female intern who tried to take away the mic, but pretty weak case (not unlike that accusation of battery during the campaign a few years back).  FWIW the intern would not be trying to take away the mic during his first question. 

I think they need a mute switch at the lectern for people who don't respect the podium. Revoking his access pass is effective after the fact, but severe. I generally can't watch the daily briefing because it is dominated by fishing for gotcha sound bites and "me time" moments on air.

This is a little academic as the drama will shift to capitol hill press conferences due to the split congress.

Sarah Huckabee deserves a break after the last couple years of fielding snark.

JR 

living sounds said:
I see the fundamental difference between those who believe in fairness for everybody and those who believe in fairness for themselves / their tribe.  The people in the sparsely populated areas have less opportunity to meet "the other". If they were to get to know them better, many wouldn't arrive at extremes as is currently the case. Technology isn't helping, as we have discussed before.
;D ;D ;D
Does it work that way if you lived in a city before living in the country.  ::)

JR

JohnRoberts said:
;D ;D ;D
Does it work that way if you lived in a city before living in the country.  ::)

JR

Statistically it will probably make a difference. This has been studied, the less people actually meet those not looking exactly like them the more xenophobic they are. For example, xenophobia is highest in the sparsely populated areas of eastern Germany, where hardly any non-whites live. The other way round: Mutually beneficial daily interactions often are transformative experiences.

Back