Free speech at gearslutz

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruffrecords

In the "30 years of Manley" thread at GS I dared to suggest the history barely mentioned David Manley. I got a nice reply from Eve Anna about their conscious trimming of the history to concentrate on the gear. In replay I said that's fine. I just thought David's creativity should have been acknowledged. Today I try to go to that thread but instead I get a message to say I have been removed from that thread. No explanation, no personal message from the moderators,  nothing. I can see the thread if I log in as a guest and guess what - my posts have been deleted but Eve Ansa's reply to me is still there.

Cheers

Ian

[silent:arts] said:
I always thought this is a normal behaviour from GS?
I have seen people stopped for flagrant personal attacks which is OK by me but I said nothing personal at all. In fact I studiously avoided that. The really odd thing is that there has been no personal communication from any moderator to explain their actions. I don't mind being told off for doing something wrong but I do expect to be told what I have done wrong else how can I improve my behaviour?

Cheers

Ian

rock soderstrom said:
advertiser vs user  ;)

Yep.    Lots of problems between paid advertisers and word of mouth advertisers too, with paid winning and the other banned. 

The entire internet has morphed into commerce primarily.  I've noticed a steady loss of factual non-commercial information in searches, with some information and conversations that used to be easy to find now effectively disappeared by advertising. 

Post-truth is here. 

ruffrecords said:
In the "30 years of Manley" thread at GS I dared to suggest the history barely mentioned David Manley. I got a nice reply from Eve Anna about their conscious trimming of the history to concentrate on the gear. In replay I said that's fine. I just thought David's creativity should have been acknowledged. Today I try to go to that thread but instead I get a message to say I have been removed from that thread. No explanation, no personal message from the moderators,  nothing. I can see the thread if I log in as a guest and guess what - my posts have been deleted but Eve Ansa's reply to me is still there.

Cheers

Ian
It appears it served her self interest to remove your comments, and she suspected you would keep pressing.

The fact that you have to complain about there, here to be heard says a lot about both.  8)

JR

I still have a glossy promo mailing which largely features David standing with a pile of his equipment, he's more prominent than the equipment, really.  Then there's his one book, at least, exploring the philosophy of the company.....that's about the gear......

EmRR said:
Yep.    Lots of problems between paid advertisers and word of mouth advertisers too, with paid winning and the other banned. 

The entire internet has morphed into commerce primarily.  I've noticed a steady loss of factual non-commercial information in searches, with some information and conversations that used to be easy to find now effectively disappeared by advertising. 

Post-truth is here. 
that's true & sad. everything is influenced and you really have to be alert to maintain an objective view.
On top of that there are some seriously dumb people around GS.

I found the GS thread, it looks pretty even, and David is discussed. 

It's an outgrowth of their contest, really. 

I used to go to the Geekslutz forum and there were some good folks there.  But the longer I stayed, the worse it got.  This fellow was the straw that broke the camel's back.  RadarDoug and I had been trying to help him out and this was the thanks we got.  Took the screenshot before mods deleted it.

Attachments

• Why I hate Gearslutz.png
    Why I hate Gearslutz.png
    165.8 KB · Views: 126
mjrippe said:
I used to go to the Geekslutz forum and there were some good folks there.  But the longer I stayed, the worse it got.  This fellow was the straw that broke the camel's back.  RadarDoug and I had been trying to help him out and this was the thanks we got.  Took the screenshot before mods deleted it.

That must have been some felt piece.... what was it in relation to?

scott2000 said:
lol post #10

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/1237101-30-years-manley.html#post13614032

you must have posted right after ;D

I think I replied to post #4 saying it was a pity the history hardly mentioned David.
Post #7 was a reply to my post to which I said David told me a rather different story.
Posts #8 and #9 are replies to my post.
The Eve Anna chips in on post #10.
In reply to her comment "As for the History page on the Manley.com website, give it a read again"
I replied David gets one mention - and quoted the part from the web site history where is says he left, which is the only mention he gets.
Post#19 is her reply, directly to me,  to which I replied she can of course put whatever she likes on her web page. I just thought you could have been a little more generous about David's contribution to the pro designs.

Next thing all my posts are deleted and I can no longer see that thread when logged in, let alone post to it.

Considering some of the vitriol that goes unpunished on GS I was somewhat surprised.

Still no communication or explanation as to why.

Cheers

Ian

Hell hath no fury.....

Well it's clear there's bad blood still, as you don't publically remind people of a person's alcoholism if you can help it. 
I can forgive EveAnna for wanting to downplay the significance of him if he did in fact create plenty of misery in her personal life.

Edit: But this doesn't mean it's right to remove questions about Mr. Manley's early contributions to the brand.

boji said:
Well it's clear there's bad blood still, as you don't publically remind people of a person's alcoholism if you can help it. 
I can forgive EveAnna for wanting to downplay the significance of him if he did in fact create plenty of misery in her personal life.

Of course!

boji said:
Edit: But this doesn't mean it's right to remove questions about Mr. Manley's early contributions to the brand.

You should try posting this over there....lol

just kidding....

You should try posting this over there....lol
Oh I've had my fill of GS. I much prefer the reasoned, sensible tone of the gdiy forums when airing my grievances. :)

Honestly it would have been better to simply ignore questions you don't like than to strike them from the record.  The choice to nonperson Ian in the thread makes it kinda clear he hit a nerve.  8)

Yes, I was surprised at how heavy handed they were. A shot across my bows saying no more would have been enough.

The time line also puzzles me. The web site says Eve Anna joined Manley on 30th Jan 1989. Then it says "After only three years with Manley Laboratories, co-founder David Manley abruptly left the company and the country in 1996"

I make that 7 years not 3. 

Cheers

Ian

Back