(Permanently) wiring a keyboard to a synth module?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swilliman

Hi all,

I saw this: http://bucranium-beats.com/2018/02/18/behringer-model-d-diy-stand-with-keyboard/

I want to take it a step further, by wiring my Behringer Model D up to a crappy old Midiman 25 key controller I have. By wiring I mean unsolder the MIDI input on the Boog and wire it directly to the MIDI input points on the keyboards PCB. I'll ditch the majority of the Midiman's plastic case and build new sides and a back.

This might seem crazy to some and a massive no-no, ofc it voids my warranty and I'll be unable to sell it on as an original but to me a module doesn't feel like a *synth*.

Has this been done before? Anyone tried? I haven't sat down to work out the maths, but it would be nice to power them both from one source. I think I'll have to ditch the pitch/mod wheels.  :eek:

I'd say the electronics side will be much more straightforward than the mechanical / case building side.

Internally connection midi out from your keyboard to midi in on the Moog should be fairly straightforward I'd guess. Regarding power, the wall wart must deliver enough current for both devices at the same time. The power draw of each device is probable written in the tech specs for both devices...

I imagine the midi jacks are right angle thru-hole to pcb on both units.  Just add your wires at those solder joints, that way you have options both for signal and for undoing your mod.  I like to hack cheap serial printer cables from thrift stores rather than cut midi wire.

boji said:
I imagine the midi jacks are right angle thru-hole to pcb on both units.  Just add your wires at those solder joints, that way you have options both for signal and for undoing your mod.  I like to hack cheap serial printer cables from thrift stores rather than cut midi wire.

Great idea. Would mean the front plate wouldn't look any different either. Thanks for the encouragement, always nice to hear some before entering the abyss!

Luckily both are 12V. PSU for the Boog sends 1A and the keyboard sucks 500mA so we're good there.

I'll keep this thread updated with progress pics and news.

Latest posts

Back