Mtr90 mk iii roller replacement

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick92675

Hello-
I’m trying to bring my mtr90 mk iii back to life after sitting unused for an embarrassingly long time. When I fired it up a few weeks ago the pucks had gone sticky (though transport functions seemed decent knock on wood).    I ordered and received new pucks from Athan and am trying to install them.    The roller on the right lifts off easily once capstan cap is removed and appears the small Allen screws on the face of the puck we’re not tightened against the motor shaft.   

The left roller does not seem to want to lift off the shaft at all.  The Allen screws were tightened - but no movement even when I loosen them.  Any suggestions or procedures to do this?  I figured it was going to be straight forward (what a fool right?! :). Also didn’t want to start forcing things that shouldn’t be forced, so here I am...

I do have the Otari operation and maintenance manual dated oct 1990.    Machine was working flawless before- albeit a while back.

Thanks much in advance!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 9
You need to make sure the screws are well out, there are machined flats on the shaft. Otherwise a bearing puller is usefull although they should not be too tight.

Thanks for the tip!  I tried this but still wasn’t able to get it out so I ended up doing some more research and George at Athan suggested trying to use a heat gun. I didn’t have one but a hair dryer on it for a few minutes did the trick and it came off easily once warmed up.  Side note is that quickly accelerated the falling apart/sticky ness of the old roller near where the heat was. 

Hope this helps someone else down the line with a similar problem!

Ps machine working great w new rollers, having fun pulling up an old shop reel having no idea what’s on it!

Attachments

• 5C6BF645-C658-44EF-9BA7-0C5A78690E95.jpeg
    5C6BF645-C658-44EF-9BA7-0C5A78690E95.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 9

Latest posts

Back