abbey road d enfer

Re: Handsome Audio Zulu/Passive Distortion Theory
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2018, 04:04:16 PM »
wouldn't biasing a core with dc as Monte suggested need to be driven with a constant current?

mr coffee
If the AC level is small compared to the DC, it's almost constant current.
Who's right or wrong is irrelevant. What matters is what's right or wrong.
"The important thing is not to convince, but to give pause for thought." (B. Werber)
Star ground is for electricians.

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2019, 01:05:49 PM »
Is it possible someone has realized a similar circuit?

abbey road d enfer

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2019, 01:55:53 PM »
Is it possible someone has realized a similar circuit?
You may find that many of our inventions have already been discovered by our elders.
Using DC to change the AC behaviour is old news; check magnetic amplifier.
"The important thing is not to convince, but to give pause for thought." (B. Werber)

living sounds

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2019, 06:18:33 PM »
Unfortunately, at least to my ears, the Zulu sounds not much like a real tape machine. At least not like mine and not to my ears.

I've yet to hear any tape "simulation" (analog or digital) that sounds convincing. And I could really use one, my Telefunken's bugs are driving me nuts. 

Isn't there some way we can emulate saturating the tape material without the mechanical parts? At least it should be possible to use scaled down mechanics, like a turntable with a tape around it and no touching parts or something similar.

abbey road d enfer

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2019, 07:56:52 PM »
Isn't there some way we can emulate saturating the tape material without the mechanical parts?
It is quite possible; it takes actual wound inductors to emulate the record and playback heads and the magnetic media. What will not be included is the effect of ultrasonic bias.

At least it should be possible to use scaled down mechanics, like a turntable with a tape around it and no touching parts or something similar.
Mechanics are not really needed unless you want to also emulate wow & flutter.

I would have thought some of the plug-ins are pretty convincing. Not that I care much. I was so glad when digital recording became mature and got rid of all the tape's limitations.

living sounds

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2019, 04:13:41 AM »
It is quite possible; it takes actual wound inductors to emulate the record and playback heads and the magnetic media. What will not be included is the effect of ultrasonic bias.
 Mechanics are not really needed unless you want to also emulate wow & flutter.

I would have thought some of the plug-ins are pretty convincing. Not that I care much. I was so glad when digital recording became mature and got rid of all the tape's limitations.

There are hardware "emulations" like these on the market, but they don't sound like tape. I'm not talking about wow, flutter or noise, but the way a signal gets to sound more even, glued and punchier at the same time. Not even the latest Neve device suceeds. Many others, the Zulu included, are more or less obvious distortion boxes with a driven sound rather than the effortless "texture" of tape.

And plugins... well, they got better in the last decade but in my humble opinion are never a full replacement for analog hardware.

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2019, 06:16:26 AM »
Some years ago Roger Mayer realised a  tape emulator called "456" but I have not found audio tests
I fear that these machines add saturation but not the "tape feel"

« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 06:20:50 AM by Liutmod »

living sounds

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2019, 06:58:00 AM »
Some years ago Roger Mayer realised a  tape emulator called "456" but I have not found audio tests
I fear that these machines add saturation but not the "tape feel"

Would be interesting to hear examples. The Sound On Sound article says its nice but doesn't really sound like tape either.

abbey road d enfer

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2019, 07:22:36 AM »
Would be interesting to hear examples. The Sound On Sound article says its nice but doesn't really sound like tape either.
It doesn't surprise me of a RM product.  ;)

living sounds

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2019, 07:34:30 AM »
It doesn't surprise me of a RM product.  ;)

Why? Seriously, I have no idea.

abbey road d enfer

« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2019, 07:55:43 AM »
Why? Seriously, I have no idea.
Well, he's known for leaving a few stones unturned in some of his designs.