Handsome Audio Zulu/Passive Distortion Theory

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
user 37518 said:
I must be deaf because I only really hear a difference with the knob all the way up, and it sounds like crap
That shows there is someting wrong in your implementation. You must check until you find the mistake. This circuit, when implemented correctly, doesn't distort in normal conditions.

user 37518 said:
I must be deaf because I only really hear a difference with the knob all the way up, and it sounds like crap, I dont really like distortion on most instruments, I strive to get the lowest THD from my equipment, just to get it all mud up later doesnt make sense to me. I sure went through the "color " and "warmth" phase of using transformers and tape just for the sake of coloration, gladly it was only a phase...

are you referring to the demo? not sure why you think that, i can definitely hear a difference on each position of the knob. I wouldn't use it for maximum distortion anyway, only a subtle hint.
I know what you mean, the whole tape saturation discussion is overhyped and some people tend to use it without reason but if you know what you're doing and why you do it i don't see a problem.

abbey road d enfer said:
That shows there is someting wrong in your implementation. You must check until you find the mistake. This circuit, when implemented correctly, doesn't distort in normal conditions.

Abbey, I was refering to the video demo of the plug-in not the circuit.

user 37518 said:
Abbey, I was refering to the video demo of the plug-in not the circuit.
sorry, I was referring to another thread... :eek:
I agree totally with you, this so-called tape simulator just does nothing until it craps out (and sounds like less than nothing)

I spent some time listening to the various demos of the ZULU.
My conclusion is that the tape selector does close to nothing - so far I can't really hear a clear difference.
Bias trims the HF level, which is correct since this is the most obvious effect of bias on a tape recorder. I'm not sure the correlated change in distortion, that happens on tape, is present in the Zulu: more accurately, I can't hear it.
I hear Enhance as just a volume control.
The only significant effect is headroom. My favourite position is when it is set at its maximum a.k.a; bypass; any other position results in badly crushed signal.

I would love to be able to get rid of the tape machine and have a 19" unit that does with no delay what the M15 does. So far, I haven't found anything close to a replacement.
I've heard the Anamod ATS-1 does the best job so far, but I haven't actually done any serious listening to it.

https://www.anamodaudio.com/

+1 for the Anamod, that one is really surprisingly nice in a non-trivial way.

Our commercial G21 goes some of the distance, but is not intended for this purpose (although no one cares about intention these days )

/Jakob E.

Yup, talked to Greg Gualtieri once at the Frankfurt music show - the basic idea was apparently simply an analogue-computing equivalent of a (at that time state of the art, but horrible) digital plugin tape-machine simulation..
Greg actually grew up 2 streets over from me in my hometown in NY. I was good friends with his younger brother Lauren.

Anytime I'm at a trade show I drop in and say hi to Greg if he's there.

Latest posts

Back